books for science enthusiast ( 10 years old) to build solid science skills

(10 Posts)
mom17 Mon 19-Sep-16 06:23:31

DS (10 years old) is very enthusiastic and comes up with lots of interesting question while reading which most of the us just ignore and assume. I really want to encourage his quest and increase his standard of reading as school one is very basic. Can you please suggest some books which can help 10 years old understand higher science in easy language. Any help is really appreciable.

irvineoneohone Mon 19-Sep-16 18:30:05

My ds loves this series.

www.basherbooks.com/uk/aboutbooks.html

EndoplasmicReticulum Mon 19-Sep-16 19:01:09

The Horrible Science books are great, like Horrible Histories but with science. We got a set from The Book People but they don't have them at the moment, I'm sure you can find them elsewhere.

They are easy to read but have some proper science in them.

My son loves this one too:
whatif.xkcd.com/book/

CMOTDibbler Mon 19-Sep-16 19:09:31

My 10 year old is enjoying the Brian Cox Wonders of the Universe/ Solar system books

mom17 Tue 20-Sep-16 05:17:36

Brian Cox series looks pretty interesting, will order it. He has read couple of horrible science series. As of now he is reading "cartoon guide of physics" etc. which I find just fit for him ( age wise).

BlueCowWonders Tue 20-Sep-16 05:50:06

Bill Bryson's History of Nearly Everything comes in a children's version which is brilliant for a wide range of science.

portico Tue 20-Sep-16 09:24:52

CGP KS3 Science. Off course, the plethora of videos on YouTube.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Tue 20-Sep-16 09:28:17

The New Scientist Q&A books (^Why don't penguins' feet freeze?^ etc) might be good. Lots of little different bits of science in there.

Autumnsky Tue 20-Sep-16 10:05:53

I bought a set of Kingfisher science encyclopedia a few years ago, there are 8 in the set and covers human science ,electrictiy, force,chemical, planet etc. I wouldn't say it is fun book, but for a curious science mind, it can be interesting to read. DS1 enjoyed it in Primary school, he said he didn't get it all, some contents he only understood it in secondary, but he liked it. And DS2(8 years old) is reading it sometimes now.

Also, 100 Science experiment from Usborne is quite good, DS2 likes it very much. You can do some experiments from the book, then explain the reason behind it.

mummymeister Tue 20-Sep-16 13:48:38

my science made DC always enjoyed the Aquila magazine when they were this age. not sure how appropriate it is for what you are looking for but worth a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now