Local leafy Hants state primary just gone back into ties AND blazers, YR?

(23 Posts)
Draylon Thu 15-Sep-16 21:37:47

I drive through -ahem- Hursley many mornings. It is a small, well-to-do village with IBM Research at its core. All Tudor chimneys and old manors. They have a lovely, small, well regarded primary in their midst, and wore the usual polo and logo'ed sweatshirt til last term.

Now they're all adorned in shirts, ties and blazers. YR upwards, as far as I could tell! Very smart, yes, but...

Why? Really? There cannot possibly be a discipline motive in it! I would love to have been a fly on the wall at that governors meeting where it was decided that 4 year olds should wear blazers. I doubt that school ever wore them, so it's not a reversion to the past (I, aged 4, wore a blazer and tie to my large primary, Danbury in Essex, circa 1966; whereas my final, not so far away from Hursley primary in 1973 had no uniform, there being 100 of us)..

I mean, the DC pretty much all go onto Kings in Winchester, where the Y11 prefects and Head boy/girls wear as much braiding as an Admiral (yet, small jibe, to date have always come second in the oh-so-precious GCSE League Table, in Hants, to resolutely polo'n' logo'ed sweatshirted Thornden, 6 miles away! grin) so plenty of chance for the blazer and tie, aged 11.

So, my thing- anyone got any idea why a village primary would go into baby-business suits for 4 year olds+ in this day and age?

grin

Ta1kinPeace Thu 15-Sep-16 21:45:13

Yup, they have gone mad
www.skoolkit.co.uk/productDetail.php?categoryUID=A23a02360&productUID=A6406351744b68527

Draylon Thu 15-Sep-16 21:52:53

grin that was sort of what I thought.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say I'm a bit -well- disappointed in them!

Which is, of course, possibly a crazy thing to say. To me, it feels like those yummies (as sane mummies wouldn't have agreed to this!) have done the 'Let's make it look like Sophia and Rupert are 'private', shall we?'- look, even though there's precious need for them to be, given that our primary is already excellent despite its functional, practical, well-adhered to uniform. And enviable results.

It's all a bit embarrassingly 'try-hard'.

TeenAndTween Fri 16-Sep-16 13:33:24

OMG shock

Plus the expense of blazers for growing primary children.

Maybe some undesirable children are getting in from CF or Romsey so they are going down the expense route to make it less desirable.

TeenAndTween Fri 16-Sep-16 13:39:14

The blazer may be 'optional' . See here for original document.

Though how optional something is when loads of others are wearing it is another matter of course.

Ta1kinPeace Fri 16-Sep-16 14:26:55

Maybe some undesirable children are getting in
more likely to be kids from "winchester village" that they are worried about
then again when DH worked at IBM some of the kids in the area were feral, rich but feral grin

TeenAndTween Fri 16-Sep-16 14:45:27

Interesting that they seem to care more about shirts keeping clean than comfort of the children.
Also the document didn't actually put forward any positive reason for blazers, just said they would be easy to wash.

Draylon Fri 16-Sep-16 15:02:27

So it's not a blazer on a 4 year old, it's a federated vision statement....

grin

Thanks for the link, T&T, and yeah, you wouldn't want any hoi polloi from those £500,000 overpriced boxes desirable homes of the -ahem- 'Winchester Village', would you? (Guess "Stanmore Estate" was already taken.. wink)

Ta1kinPeace Fri 16-Sep-16 16:51:25

Ah, so its all deriving from Ampfield - who were down to less than 20 pupils around 10 years ago - they think that people are actively choosing them rather than being sick of waiting for anywhere else grin

Gotta love Stanmore - all the bods frothing over on the GS threads talking about Leafy Comps totally miss the point about Stanmore and Kingsworthy oozing their way into those naice Winchester schools wink

AtleastitsnotMonday Fri 16-Sep-16 18:18:32

Am I missing something? How are collared shirts easier to clean than polos?
As a CF resident I object to our children being undesirable! We've not quite got ghetto status yet!

TeenAndTween Fri 16-Sep-16 18:31:19

I don't think CF kids are undesirable. I am from the other location I mentioned. smile I was only surmising that JK might think that!

AtleastitsnotMonday Fri 16-Sep-16 19:16:22

To be honest I wish they had gone the whole hog and had caps and boaters! I do love a hat!

TeenAndTween Fri 16-Sep-16 19:29:09

grin

Draylon Fri 16-Sep-16 19:42:17

Monday - I'm CF and deeply undesirable wink

Draylon Fri 16-Sep-16 19:51:34

However, were League Tables worthy of anything other than a glance, JK, last year, got an average points score of 29.6 in KS2 SATS, whereas our motley crew got 30.8. (Maybe more blood to the brain with no necktie to restrict it?) Not that I checked grin . Much.

MiaowTheCat Fri 16-Sep-16 19:55:21

Head at DD1's primary is desperately trying to encourage the kids back into "optional but encouraged" shirts and ties. I'm completely ignoring it as it's fucking ridiculous in 30 degree heat - but she's got a lot of the reception parents sucked in. Unfortunately she's also not specified things enough and we've got a load rocking polo shirts plus ties which looks ridiculous.

wasninah Fri 16-Sep-16 20:00:10

There's a free school round my way where they wear grey blazers in R. I was thinking of applying for a job there so I looked at the website and there were pics of them outside during free flow - at first I assumed they were role playing estate agents or something.

catshavestaff Fri 16-Sep-16 23:16:16

Our village primary not that far from this had better KS2 results in 2015 and better % achieving expected progress, no blazers or ties here. I'm a bit surprised at a church primary doing this as it would go against inclusiveness having more uniform and hence higher costs for parents.

Draylon Sat 17-Sep-16 10:19:55

JK is very inclusive. It includes all the IBM execs DC from the Tudor chimney'd manor houses! grin

Propertyquandry Sat 17-Sep-16 17:11:12

grin our prep has just voted to get rid of blazers and dump shirts and ties in favour of polo shirts. Also to change the woolly jumper to a sweatshirt, albeit one with a logo. New head says it's both ridiculously expensive and ridiculously impractical for young children to move freely whilst wearing the old uniform. I think it's a bloody marvellous idea, other parents are outraged. grin

furlinedsheepskinjacket Sat 17-Sep-16 17:18:59

bonkers

jk = jezza kyle ? ;)

i'm not cf - i'm bishy and proud smile

Lemonsole Mon 19-Sep-16 18:46:37

Yummier than thou.

Definitely for those who'd love to be private, but whose eye-watering Winchester mortgages preclude it.
Poor kids.

Stanmore School is v yummy these days, I'll have you know.

Lemonsole Mon 19-Sep-16 19:00:11

I look at my Reception year class photo, and wonder how in the hell we ever did PE.

35 of us. All with proper, button-up shirts and real ties. Laces on the boys' shoes; stiff buckles on ours. It was 1976.

Oh yes. We did it in our vests and pants, skidding on dark grey peas in the school hall.

That same school recently returned to collars and ties after a couple of decades of a common-sense uniform. I'm sure it's to show their VA distinctiveness from the less selective masses.

Poor Hursley kids. How totally wanky and, as you put it, embarrassing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now