schools and where to live in stirling/alloa area?

(8 Posts)
msksquared Wed 27-Jul-16 12:03:53

DH just found out he may be starting a new role in Alloa. We are wondering where to live. We have two DSs both in primary school (7 and 10). They are going to find moving traumatic, so we really want to make the right choice now so we don't have to do it again!!! hmm

I was thinking of Dunblane or Linlithgow... But mainly as I know a few folk there and I know the schools are good. We are looking for good state schools - can't afford private - and we need after school/holiday provision. Linlithgow is really expensive of course, not sure we can afford it...

I will need to find a new job in the medium term so will need to be able to commute - potentially - to Edin or Glasgow although if I could find a job in Stirling that would obv be better.

DH is English and I am Scottish but been out of Scotland for years now. We have lived in different countries and really want to be somewhere that's a bit cosmopolitan and open.

Thanks in advance for any advice!! I think I'm excited but it is scary too... confused

janie2 Sat 30-Jul-16 21:55:48

Hi, I don't post often bit of a lurker but thought I'd suggest the Kinross area.
The high school is good and a promising new head teacher in a new community campus. Great facilities. Primary schoolschool are also good in the area.
Alloa is approx 30mins away. Edinburgh 45mins.
Dunblane is lovely too with good schools.
I'm sure you'll find some where great to live in the area.
Good luck!

blueskyinmarch Sat 30-Jul-16 22:03:47

I used to live in Dunblane. It is lovely but also expensive. The schools are very good.

msksquared Tue 02-Aug-16 08:11:01

Thanks both! I don't know kinross at all - I'll take a look!!!

LunaLoveg00d Wed 03-Aug-16 14:33:01

Dunblane and Linlithgow schools are very good. On the other side of Stirling, Balfron High is very good too.

prettybird Tue 09-Aug-16 21:19:42

I'd try posting in the Scotsnet topic - you might get more ideas there.

(sorry for the delay in suggesting this: the Education topic hadn't been accessible from the Talk App for nearly a month)

msksquared Tue 09-Aug-16 22:33:59

Thanks prettybird I might give that a try... not fully understanding the system of placement requests etc if you are outside catchment... sure loads of people know about this tho...

prettybird Tue 09-Aug-16 23:08:36

You'll be surprised to find that most placing requests (even/especially in the areas you're looking) are accepted.

But you're also best contacting the school to ask about probability of placing requests: sometimes the answer is different to the official one (in a good way!)

Catchments are fixed so every address will have a defined catchment school - but the council will have a form that you can complete to make a placing request (but you still need to "register" at the catchment school). At least, that's the system in Glasgow.

Not sure how it works for In Year requests. Contact the schools in the first instance I think.

When are your kids birthdays as the cut off dates are different here?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now