Old Palace of John Whitgift (primary) or Royal Russell

(26 Posts)
lighthouse17 Mon 18-Jul-16 08:55:48

hi
I have posted here before, I work full time and I am looking for a school for my DD with amazing after school activities and care. So this is the reason I am thinking of private school.
I am looking to hear from parents hat might have heard any comments about either of these schools mentioned. My DD is currently going to the nursery in John Whitgift which I love and she loves and the school looks lovely but when I quietly mention sending my DD to the primary school there to the nursery staff, they don't look too eager about it. They are like hmmm not sure obviously they are not supposed to say anything but if it was amazing they wouldn't give me that reaction???

There is also Royal Russell and that also looks lovely. Any experiences in either of these schools?

lighthouse17 Mon 18-Jul-16 08:56:35

sorry forgot to mention, both of these schools are in Croydon

LBOCS2 Mon 18-Jul-16 09:01:00

I don't know much about either but have you looked at Croydon High School as well? It's just up the road from Old Palace.

lighthouse17 Mon 18-Jul-16 09:03:38

yes I did but because I need a school where I can drop off my car and go to work, however where the Croydon High is a bit awkward. I also looked at Cumnor in Purley but thats also awkward for us which is a shame as it's a lovely school so I am left with the 2 schools above.
We also have an outstanding state primary near us but that doesn't have great after school club and it finishes far too early for us.

LBOCS2 Mon 18-Jul-16 09:08:11

Yeah, I know people with DC at Cumnor and they love it, they're really impressed.

BerriesandLeaves Mon 18-Jul-16 09:10:08

Do you mean you want to drop off your car in a car park near the school?

lighthouse17 Mon 18-Jul-16 09:14:50

yes for example at the moment I can drop off my car right in front of John Whitgift and than catch the tram to East Croydon station, so I am looking for a school that I can do something similiar.
My neighbors son goes to Cumnor and he loves it but it's in Purley and traffic in Purley is just crazy and I am not sure where I would leave my car there even if I manage to get there in rush hour. it's such a shame really...

Ladymuck Mon 18-Jul-16 09:52:55

Well one of the main difference between the two schools is obviously the presence of boys at one, which also has an impact on the ethnic mix. It gives the schools different vibes.

Both schools will prepare your dd for entry to their senior school rather than for others, so that may be an issue to consider - have you thought about what you might consider further down the line, as the majority, though not all, of your dd's classmates are likely to stay put.

Travel is obviously a genuine issue. Parents at Cumnor park at Purley station and commute from there.

LIZS Mon 18-Jul-16 09:59:38

Could you rent a drive/parking space near any of the school's you are currently ruling out due to logistics.

lighthouse17 Mon 18-Jul-16 10:03:04

hiya, yes thats why I prefer Cumnor as they prepare for 11+ exams but it's the travel that puts me off, I just don't think it's doable sad
I just want a school and that she can be cared for after school till I pick her up at 6pm. I wish I didn't have to work these long hours but I just have to. The good thing is I will be able to afford a private school if I have to which is good. However I don't get good wibes from the Old Palace of John Whitgift so I am not sure if it's worth paying if thats the case. Also some people say that Royal Russell isn't worth paying either. I know people took their children out of there.
I would love to hear from people that have their kids in either of these schools???

SoupDragon Mon 18-Jul-16 10:03:56

I don't know about Old Palace primary as the only person I knew who went there went when it was Croham Hurst.

A friend's DD went to RR from KS2 rather than the KS1 entry you are looking for but she has been pleased with it and her DD is still there in secondary.

Depending where you are coming from, there is no reason you can't drop off at Croydon High and then drive to a tram stop. A little more faff I guess and Selsdon can be bad for traffic.

SoupDragon Mon 18-Jul-16 10:07:24

I wouldnt write Croydon High or Cumnor off. I think that if a school is right, you can overcome any minor technical difficulties like traffic. IMO it's better to be in the right school rather than a convenient one that just doesn't work for your child.

lighthouse17 Mon 18-Jul-16 10:18:07

Yes I haven't ruled them out yet but it would make it very tiring for DD being picked up nearly 6pm. I also work in London and trains to East Croydon are ok (not good everyday though) but to Purley a lot less so it's just an added stress that we don't need at the moment, just not knowing whether I would get there on time. I also have a friend that leaves in Purley, her trains are always affected and she is always stressed so leaves work really early which my work won't have that flexibility. I will go and visit all the schools anyway and make a decision nearer the time.

It's just it would be good to hear from parent that they have kids in these schools or at least know people that go there. Old Palace is making me feel a bit uneasy about it and not sure what that is, I think it's the nursery staff not being keen on it....

BerriesandLeaves Mon 18-Jul-16 11:20:51

It seems odd that the nursery staff aren't keen on the primary there, although it's good that they are being honest. Could you ask them in more detail or post on Croydon Local?

lighthouse17 Mon 18-Jul-16 11:39:12

Yes, they are being honest. I might ask others again to get more feedback. The nursery is amazing though so I am not sure why the school isn't that good. I think they probably think it's not worth the money. I just think that need to see the schools with my DD and see how she feels as well and also the wibe I get when I am there would be my deciding factor. I will also see the state primary near me as I think that might be good, it's just the after school care I am worried about. I really want my DD to get involved in many activities that I won't be able to take her too, like tennis, swimming, music, whatever she wants....

SoupDragon Mon 18-Jul-16 11:46:54

I just think that need to see the schools with my DD and see how she feels as well and also the wibe I get when I am there would be my deciding factor.

Absolutely! It has been the "feeling" that made my final choices for me and they've been right so far.

One thing to consider is perhaps state plus childminder until KS2 and then look again. Lots of things might change in those years and your DD will be older and better able to cope with a long day at school.

LBOCS2 Mon 18-Jul-16 11:50:24

You could also drop off at Croydon High and park at either South Croydon or Sanderstead stations. I drove from Selsdon into Croydon every day for work and actually if you avoid the A2022 (ie the high st) the trunk roads which run down into Croydon themselves aren't bad at all.

merlottime Mon 18-Jul-16 12:20:26

I don't think there is anywhere for parents to park near Royal Russell.

lighthouse17 Mon 18-Jul-16 12:43:10

thank you for all the replies, it's such a great network here.
There is a tram stop near Royal Russell, I think there are some roads I can park near there, but again it's not an ideal situation.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Mon 18-Jul-16 19:19:05

I wouldn't worry about loads of extra-curricular stuff just yet - ime after school actually don't really kick in until KS2 - frankly just being at school is tiring enough for the littlies

Dd joined her prep at the start of Y3 and she really hadn't missed anything as what she'd been doing at her state infants was pretty much identical to the private school

I'd look at your local state option plus childminder then look into moving her at 7+. None of the schools you've mentioned is massively oversubscribed at primary so you wouldn't have missed the boat

PettsWoodParadise Tue 19-Jul-16 01:18:34

Please don't choose a school based on parking. DD was at a school in a neighbouring borough that played RR in netball frequently but we left as it just wasn't a good fit after Y3 for DD as the brightest seemed to leave then for the preps that started at aged 7, I believe from talking with RR parents at sporting fixtures it experiences the same brain drain so if you have a bright child they can be stranded at one end of the academic spectrum from Y3 onwards. Clubs outside of school also help with other friendship groups rather than the same old faces which if they fall out with can be even more catastrophic if all their school and clubs are with the same friends.

trafalgargal Tue 19-Jul-16 07:01:39

The train service from Purley is still pretty good both for direct trains and also a quick change at East Croydon. It's very doable. I wouldn't write Cumnor House off on that basis. I did the commute into Victoria and London Bridge for years from Purley.

trafalgargal Tue 19-Jul-16 07:06:41

I agree with the RR brain drain comments too. It's always been that way with RR. My neighbour moved her daughter from RR to Croydon High for that reason. She didn't regret it.

lighthouse17 Tue 19-Jul-16 12:31:59

hi trafalgargal - where did you park your car in Purley? the Purley train station changes you quite a bit of money for leaving your car there

Leeds2 Tue 19-Jul-16 13:01:13

Purley train station charges £5.50 per day for parking. You can buy a weekly ticket which works out a little cheaper. Not sure if they have monthly/annual season tickets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now