Prep schools somerset

(5 Posts)
user1467235237 Wed 29-Jun-16 22:40:25

Hi there. Looking for a bit of advice. Ds1 is currently King's Hall in Taunton. He really loves it there and is doing really well. He's very talented in just about every area of sport, but about two years ago the school hired a new director of sport and it has, quite honestly, gone to the dogs.
He's a potential sports scholar, A team all of the way, but he's getting really disheartened. The games just seem to be an utter shambles. The director if sport is completely useless and on the grapevine we've heard that he's not pe trained and did not teach games or pe at his last school. The whole department seems to be falling apart. There is one male teacher there who is outstanding, but can only do so much.
I know this isn't a big thing in the grand scheme of things, but it us to my son. He's lost a few friends recently as they have transferred out because if the sport provision. All of the parents are in despair.
I know of at least 6 other families who are shopping around because of it.
He also has this director of sport for history and he's diabolical.
My dd is there too and she's very happy. I don't really want to move school, but I'm getting so frustrated for my son.
Any advice? Would you move or stick and hope that someone else takes the reigns?
The fees are so much to be getting such poor teaching.

(cannot change username for some reason!)

mary21 Thu 30-Jun-16 20:09:21

If you like the school in all other respects it might be worth looking at the youth sections of your local rugby cricket football athletics clubs. Most offer excellent training in accordance with rfu rubgy rules. At the senior school you will probibly find many A team players are also club players

user1467235237 Mon 04-Jul-16 09:03:31

Hi there, thanks for the response, sorry for the late reply. Its been end of term, which is always just crazy.
He's involved in local clubs. It seems to be the only place he's learning any skills and then the school is taking credit for them. I wanted to have a chat with the head of pe at prize day, but he didn't turn up!!! Or if he did, it was incredibly briefly and then scampered off. There were a lot of parents that were really unhappy.
Quite a few of us are thinking about approaching the governors to complain. Would this be too much?

SisterViktorine Sat 09-Jul-16 18:57:01

What about Millfield Prep? I don't know it personally (we are a bit further East) but assuming they have access to the Millfield facilities and share the focus on sport it should be strong in that area?

salsamummy Tue 23-Aug-16 16:35:29

Yes Millfield for sport.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now