This is the pushy parent Tiffin tutor thread.

(459 Posts)
uwila Mon 22-Jan-07 13:28:06

Okay, so wh ohas used a Tiffin tutor? Did it get your kid(s) into Tiffin? How old were they when they strted tutoring?

Okay, so my DD is only 3 1/2 but I like to plan ahead/. I've heard you can sign up for tutors that increase your chances of getting into Tiffin (boys and girls schools).

Any experience/opinions welcome.

Thanks.

foxabout2pop Mon 22-Jan-07 20:31:36

oooh am glad I know something then!!!!

Do you think 6/7 is a good age to get DS assessed and try and get on her waiting list?

twickersmum Mon 22-Jan-07 20:31:41

Celia2 - have CAT you... Uwila, CAT'd you also!

foxabout2pop Mon 22-Jan-07 20:34:09

catesmum - do you feel going to Tiffin benefited you though? I mean in terms of what you did after you'd left - having such a strong academic foundation.

What you said about Tiffin reminds me of comments I've heard about Queen's primary in Kew - three families I know have taken their children out of Queens as its so pressuerd their children were very unhappy.

drosophila Mon 22-Jan-07 20:35:25

Isn't 3.5 a bit early to worry about this. I mean she could turn out to be unacademic and all this would have been a waste of your time. I can understand looking into this if the child was a bit older. Also if what the poster said below is correct your child may have talents that lie is subject that are not pushed at Tiffin.

Why are yo looking into this so early? I am truly interested.

Celia2 Mon 22-Jan-07 20:38:20

The tutor doesn't assess until the child is in Year 5 if it is 11+ tuition. My dcs are in Year 5 now and we had "the call about a month ago".

foxabout2pop Mon 22-Jan-07 20:40:10

Celia - is year 5 age nine? I always get confused about this as DS's school calls the years something different to every other school for some reason.

Celia2 Mon 22-Jan-07 20:45:23

Yes, Year 5 is 9-10 years old.

twickersmum Mon 22-Jan-07 20:46:44

i have been thinking about this and DD1 isn't yet 3!
only because for the good tutors you just need to get your name down, then forget about it until they are 7, 8 or whenever.
By then, if they are academic - great. If not, you don't take it up. But better to have a choice then to find out age 9 or 10 that your DD's teacher thinks they have a real chance of getting in but there is no way you can get hold of a decent tutor.

It is like the private school 2 roads from where i live. You have to get your child's name down by the time they are 3 months old (for 5 year old entry). Otherwise it is full. We decided not to, but it was an active decision not to.

twickersmum Mon 22-Jan-07 20:49:57

catesmum, i would like to hear more! i know Tiffin is an exam factory and glad to hear it is just the last 2 years tbh.

i think most successful schools are pretty much like that.

i was in one where 40% got 5 A-C passes at GCSE. So that means 60% didn't. and that was a girls school with an excellent reputation (but no entrance criteria). There was no pressure - and if you weren't in the top set you didn't really have a chance. And now i think the streaming has been stopped. i can only imagine what it must be like.

Celia2 Mon 22-Jan-07 20:53:46

We found that if the tutor thinks your child is bright enough they will take them despite not having their name down. DS1 had a few tutors phoning us because we had asked people we knew who were tutored to recommend a tutor , they had spoken to the tutors and they then wanted him on their lists. He was in Year 5 when we rang the tutors.
However you are right, it is better to put their name down, forget about it and then decide when the call comes.
Without wanting to worry people I think that the Grammars will get more good applicants next year as the first preference stipulation has been stopped so there is now nothing to loose putting the grammars first.

foxinsocks Mon 22-Jan-07 20:57:31

grr just posted and lost it

the journey to Tiffin from where Uwila is now (not that I know exactly where you are uwila, but have a vague idea) wouldn't be that bad (but you may have moved anyway).

Uwila, if you are thinking about moving to Twickers and get your dd into that school, bear in mind that you have Waldegrave as an option at secondary level. It's an all girls state secondary school in Twickenham with v impressive results and an excellent reputation. Entrance is on distance criteria (some complicated quadrant system but if you moved, you'd know where you'd need to move to get a place iyswim).

twickersmum Mon 22-Jan-07 20:58:43

Celia2 - is your DS in a state primary?

Celia2 Mon 22-Jan-07 20:59:50

Yes 3 in stste primary, one in secondary.

twickersmum Mon 22-Jan-07 21:01:28

foxabout2pop - what do you consider to be good catholic secondaries in west london?

foxabout2pop Mon 22-Jan-07 21:02:29

Foxinsocks - agree Waldegrave has a great reputation!

Wish there was a similarly good boys school in the area

There were reports in the press last week that the government is going to change the entry criteria for seondary schools so that no child gets in due to living in the right catchment area. Places would be allocated by lottery. There were parents being interviewed about the value of their houses going down as a result of no longer being in the right catchment area for good schools.

Celia2 Mon 22-Jan-07 21:04:05

Their schools are church VA.

SueW Mon 22-Jan-07 21:04:20

Don't know what it's like down south but falling rolls are hitting here in East Mids for entry to Y7 in Sept07.

Applications/registrations for most private school are below previous years and I've heard that the best state schools aren't hammering the 'we only accept the best' speech quite as much this year.

foxabout2pop Mon 22-Jan-07 21:04:31

Twickers:

Boys: Cardinal Vaughan and the London Oratory

Girls: Gumley House, Sacred Heart and Lady Margarets

All those take kids from DS/DD's school.

Also Wimbledon College - but don't know much about that one.

foxabout2pop Mon 22-Jan-07 21:06:39

Mind you I went to Sacred Heart and it didn't do my spelling much good did it? LOL!

twickersmum Mon 22-Jan-07 21:07:14

i went to london oratory for sixth form. was very strict and quite a journey from hampton where we lived. good though!

frogs Mon 22-Jan-07 21:12:44

Fox, we are considering the Oratory and Cardinal Vaughan for ds. For some reason our primary school regularly gets boys into the Oratory, but has had bad luck recently with the Vaughan, not sure why. But once the first preference criterion has gone things will get easier, methinks.

But probably harder for selective schools.

foxabout2pop Mon 22-Jan-07 21:17:21

Twickers - all those nice Catholic boys eh?

Frogs - CV may be more oversubscribed as its higher in the league tables maybe? How old is your DS now? Mines 6.

Irritatingly, there seem to be far more decent girls schools than boys schools in our area.

Celia2 Mon 22-Jan-07 21:27:09

The admissions criteria for CV is very daunting! I hadn't realised it was so strict.

twickersmum Mon 22-Jan-07 21:28:00

frogs Mon 22-Jan-07 21:29:31

Mine's in Y3.

I think a lot of people are put off by the religion test, which I do think is a bit naughty as it's hard to see how you can test religious knowledge without also testing general ability. A few years ago there were tranches of not terribly bright boys getting into the Vaughan, but that was still in the days of interviews.

(Sorry, uwila for hijack!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now