Experienced governors out there!

(11 Posts)
MistressMoo Mon 27-Jun-16 10:19:52

I applied to be a governor, and was supposedly co-opted at the last full GB meeting - last term (I actually applied in March)

I have heard nothing since ... is it me?!

Also shouldn't any letter relating to the GB come from the Chair/Clerk and not the Head.

Thanks for any advice!

peachpudding Mon 27-Jun-16 10:34:00

All Governing bodies will be different but for my school: Maybe the chair/clerk is technically supposed to send the letter but the head often does a lot of the leg work, I dont think thats a big deal especially in smaller schools.

Normally, from a parent governors point of view there is often little to do in between board meetings. You would expect to get relevant papers in the week before the next meeting and then you will officially join the board at that meeting where you will start learning/deciding what your role will be.

Just drop the chair an email as to when the next meeting is and to make sure they have your correct email address.

lougle Mon 27-Jun-16 10:35:09

Has the governing body met since? Normally, I would expect communication to be by email and from the Clerk.

MistressMoo Mon 27-Jun-16 11:10:19

The GB have met since ...

I have been a governor before and was always kept fully informed. The last school only took a month to get it all sorted.

They have a role for me, which is why they wanted me to be co-opted.

If the Head is sending out letters instead of the Chair/Clerk it smacks to me of a 'rubber-stamping' GB.

Honestly thinking of withdrawing from it - this began before Easter!!!

admission Mon 27-Jun-16 12:12:43

This is not sounding good. The clerk should have been in touch and given you dates for full governing body meetings.
As a Chair of Governors I would always welcome new members, get them into the school, so they can see the school in action during the day, have a chat with the head teacher and a chat / training session about how the GB does work, committees, what you might want to do etc.
If you were co-opted at the last meeting and they have a role for you - which was presumably discussed with someone before you accepted - then it definitely sounds like a GB which is not doing the job they are supposed to.
Have you been appointed by the LA as an additional governor by any chance?

MistressMoo Mon 27-Jun-16 13:25:37

I am an experienced governor so do know how the GB should work but why should it take so long to get things sorted. I could have been in there actually contributing instead of waiting and waiting ...

admission - The Chair told me that he was desperate for someone to do a particular role and therefore I would be co-opted - do not want to out myself by mentioning which role. I have gone out of my way to research and get up to date.

I know I could contact them but I do not feel very welcome at all. The last time I spoke to the Chair he said I would be co-opted that evening and a letter would be sent to me ...

bojorojo Mon 27-Jun-16 14:51:44

This does sound odd and very unprofessional. The Head is not the secretary/clerk to the Governing Body. They are a Governor - nothing else. Therefore I might now contact the Chairman. The Governing Body is responsible for appointments but unless it is VA, then the letter of appointment may well come from the Local Authority and with it information on training etc. Having said that, LAs can take forever to do these letters. Is this where the hold-up is? I really think you have to speak to the Chair and ask what has held this up. I would have thought this would have been triggered by your non attendance at the last meeting and clearly the work you were meant to be doing does not appear very important! I would not like to think of you walking away without investigating what has gone wrong.

(Having said that, many years ago I was not appointed when I was told I would be, because they preferred someone else. They just did not have the good manners to tell me!).

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Mon 27-Jun-16 14:54:13

Sounds like something (you) has fallen between the cracks. I would give them the benefit of the doubt this once and contact the Chair.

DanFmDorking Sun 03-Jul-16 23:05:28

Yes, I would have expected a phone call pretty much straight away followed by an email (or letter) giving details of meeting dates and committees. Ring the chair.

Any further news?

AndreaJ1976 Mon 04-Jul-16 22:22:29

I would be tempted to write and withdraw my application. This should at least prompt a reaction and possible explanation but it all sounds very unprofessional. How much do you want this?

WorraLiberty Mon 04-Jul-16 22:27:52

They sound very lax indeed.

I'm a chair and I invite all my prospective governors to meet with me, my vice chair and the head, have a cup of tea and a look around the school.

They're told as soon as the GB has met and accepted them, and kept informed of everything from that point onwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now