Home schooling

(4 Posts)
mummybear701 Wed 04-May-16 21:53:30

What experiences do people have with home schooling. My nephew has just gone back to school after being home-schooled from about 7 because he "didn't get on with people' at school, now had to go back from age 10. Most in the extended family were worried it would set him up for all sorts of problems, missing out on social settings, dealing with not getting your own way etc. He had a superior reading and counting ability which may have tided over this period, but in a wider sense we wonder if it can do more harm than good.

mummybear701 Wed 04-May-16 22:04:34

oops didn't notice the homeschooling section. Can you move threads over a section?

GingerIvy Wed 04-May-16 22:11:46

Probably best to let his parents be the judge of it. Why are you getting involved?

Saracen Fri 06-May-16 23:46:09

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. You are wondering whether his return to school will do more harm than good? Hard to predict.

I'm sure it will depend on the particular school and how well it fits him. Often kids do better in one school than another, so the fact that his previous school/class didn't suit doesn't necessarily mean the new one won't. (Or is it the same school?) Also, three years of growing up will often make a huge difference to how well a child can tolerate an environment which presents challenges for him. I certainly know kids who've found school easier to cope with the second time round than they did the first.

Since his parents think school is worth trying now, I don't think you should dissuade them. If it doesn't work, presumably they can take him out again.

Good luck to him! I hope it goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now