HARRIS PURLEY IN YEAR ADMISSION

(13 Posts)
Rainbowdoom Mon 18-Apr-16 16:58:25

Can someone please help me regarding me situation.

My Son currently goes to a school that he strongly dislikes in Croydon (Secondary school ) So we decided to apply For Harris Purely on Wednesday 10 March 2016 . We sent and application form,then the following Monday we received a letter informing us that there was a Non verbal reasoning test that we had to go to the following day (Tuesday 11)And so we went to it .You may be aware the test is not a pass or fail thing to get into the school, it's to see your level and put you in the right ability band in the school and if there's a space in the group you can join the school . It's now April 18 and we still haven't received a letter or call or anything and the new half term is already on its second week .Can someone people please help me with these questions .
Do they call us to inform when my child can join or by letter or email ?
Why don't they answer there calls ?
If we did get in wouldn't they of told me before the new half term began indicating that we didn't get a Space . Thank you for reading and please tell me even if you know the littlest thing

Catmuffin Mon 18-Apr-16 20:16:18

It's strange if they are not answering your calls. Could you try emailing?

PettsWoodParadise Mon 18-Apr-16 21:45:28

I presume you've already seen the FAQs which make it clear places rarely come up. upload.reactcdn.co.uk/harris_secondary_purley/uploads/key_information/2_2_guidance-for-parents-for-in-year-application.pdf

It seems to imply that after the test you will automatically be placed on the waiting list. Are you close to the school? Will others jump ahead of you as they are closer if they also apply for example? I have heard of some people never getting off the wait list of popular schools if they are not top of the oversubscription criteria.

Elsewhere on the site it also mentions your right to appeal but you need to have a formal refusal of a place which it doesn't sound like you have.

They could be busy with dealing with the year 7 application process and those trying to appeal. Plus there has been the Easter break.

Good luck.

Rainbowdoom Tue 19-Apr-16 07:02:26

I have left voicemails but still no answer for the last almost 3 weeks confused I agree they may be busy but it take little phone call of email or letter to inform is there's no space for my son and we will be on the waiting list doesn't it ? Anf surely thy wouldn't make my son take a yet if there are some spaces here and there in some groups wouldn't they?

PettsWoodParadise Tue 19-Apr-16 10:12:33

Different school but a six form intake and my friends had to wait two terms for a place to turn up and they were .2 of a mile from the school so pretty near top of list. It can take time in a popular school sd people are less likely to want to give up a place. I agree a call or email would be courteous but the Easter break was two and a half of those. Hope you get an answer soon.

Rainbowdoom Tue 19-Apr-16 12:59:14

They finally answered my voicemail and I got an answer and they said that there isn't a space. sad although we are second on the waiting list, by any chance do you know how long it will take until they accept my soon as again he is 2nd on the waiting list

PatriciaHolm Tue 19-Apr-16 13:32:10

None of us can possibly tell you how long it will take. You are dependent upon 2 people in your son's ability band in his year leaving. It could be a month, it could be never!

Rainbowdoom Tue 19-Apr-16 15:44:40

Yes that is true ,Anyways thank you everyone for your help .

PettsWoodParadise Thu 21-Apr-16 15:36:58

Not wanting to be the harbinger of doom, you are not only reliant on two people leaving you are also reliant on someone higher up the oversubscription criteria coming along later and not wanting the school. It could be weeks. It could be never. It is impossible to say.

PettsWoodParadise Thu 21-Apr-16 15:38:44

Error. Delete the word 'not' before 'wanting' above.

Ladymuck Thu 21-Apr-16 16:43:58

Which yeargroup is your son in? There may be other Croydon schools with spaces.

Catmuffin Thu 21-Apr-16 17:03:55

What about Riddlesdown? Would that be reachable from where you are?

pizzatray Fri 22-Apr-16 19:21:34

Can you get to any Sutton schools easily? Sutton council have a vacancy checker online, you can enter the year group and see if there's a space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now