Can anyone tell me what will happen if I do not return dd to school after the Easter Holidays

(9 Posts)
owlsintheflowerpatch Thu 24-Mar-16 15:10:57

While I find another school place for her elsewhere.

Our Council has a new attendance level based admission strategies (same Council someone else moaned about on here the other day)

Can new school refuse to take her?
Can the council take action against me attendance wise?
Am I better registering a letter of home education to land on old schools mat for the start of the new term to combat this while we find a new school?

prh47bridge Thu 24-Mar-16 17:17:46

Can new school refuse to take her

No.

Can the council take action against me attendance wise

Yes. As long as your daughter remains registered at her current school she is required to attend. You can be fined if she fails to attend regularly.

Am I better registering a letter of home education to land on old schools mat for the start of the new term to combat this while we find a new school

Probably.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Thu 24-Mar-16 21:35:17

LA will be open during the hols - should know which schools have places - even if you have to wait for confirmation

Is there a reason?

owlsintheflowerpatch Thu 24-Mar-16 22:28:48

Thanks.
Sally I know which ones have space but LA have said they cannot process until schools reopen after Easter.
Yes my child has been unhappy for some time but no longer feels safe in school following a recent incident.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Thu 24-Mar-16 23:42:31

Have you thought of a doctors note?

Saracen Fri 25-Mar-16 00:51:10

If you definitely would not consider leaving her in the current school then I cannot see any drawback to home educating while you sort out a new school.

The only scenario I can imagine in which you might regret it would be this:

Current school is full and when you deregister your dd her place is taken by another child so she is unable to return. It turns out there is no space in any other school where you'd want to send her, and you don't want to home ed for the entire term. You then ask the council to provide a school place for her somewhere (which they have to do), and all they can offer you is a school which you dislike even more than her previous school.

That scenario seems unlikely. There probably aren't many people queuing up to join the current school for the last term of Y6. Besides, if your daughter feels unsafe at her current school then I suppose it's unlikely you'd regret losing her place.

So yes, home ed is simple enough.

calamityjam Fri 25-Mar-16 01:08:07

I removed ds after a serious incident occurred on the last day before half term. There was no way I'd ever allow him to step foot in there again so his place being filled wasn't a concern. On the next school day after half term I rang LEA and asked which schools had spaces. Luckily our preferred school had spaces so I rang the head and explained the situation. I took to visit the same day and he started school the following day.

Cagliostro Fri 25-Mar-16 01:45:35

I'm sorry your DD has had such an awful time. My DD was very unhappy at school, it was when she had a full blown panic attack before school that we just thought you know what, this is making her ill. Just over a year ago and she's a different person - so happy!

Anyway, I don't know the ins and outs because we just quit and I handed the letters in, I think that sounds like a good plan for you all - deregister and just give DD time to heal for a while

apple1992 Mon 28-Mar-16 11:05:29

I would ring your local authority's admissions department and ask for advice. It is unlikely you'll get a place over Easter, and may also depend whether your local schools are LA or academies. (Academies manage their own admissions generally, so you'll likely have to contact them direct)

If you keep her out of school until you find a new one, you run the risk of being prosecuted, depending on how long she is out. You could deregister her but it feels risks, again it depends where you live. My LA is short of secondary places and I know parents who have removed their child and found them unable to place, and the cases have ended up with the fair access panel who decide on an appropriate school place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now