Catholic School...AIBU?

(12 Posts)
LynetteScavo Wed 16-Mar-16 19:24:59

DD (10yo) had told me she didn't have her flute lesson today (paid for by me) becuase the Catholic children (DD being one of them!) went to the church for confession. Recently all children have been going to confession hmm but DD tells me today only Catholic children went, and everyone else stayed in school and played on the computers.

For some reason this has irritated me. Maybe because I can take her to confession, but I can't get her another flute lesson....

eromdap Wed 16-Mar-16 20:48:19

Surely the flute teacher can arrange another time for the lesson?

LynetteScavo Wed 16-Mar-16 20:57:41

I don't think the flute teacher will rearrange a time if it's the school who took DD elsewhere....The flute teacher is brought in from outside school, and I am very, very grateful the school allow this as I know not all schools do. I guess if it wasn't DD missing her flute lesson, it might have been another child missing their piano or clarinet (teacher is muti-talented! grin), but the flute lady was there ready to teach, her so won't rearrange.

I'm think I'm going to question it with school, and risk looking like a nutter.

PandasRock Wed 16-Mar-16 21:00:55

Did you/the school know the music timetable ahead of today? And did school decide on confession as spur of the moment, it was it planned?

I would be annoyed too

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Wed 16-Mar-16 21:04:17

But what's the point of none Catholic children going to confession?! I'd be more pussed off if I was a parent of a non Catholic child going to confession tbh. The school is allowing your daughter to practice her faith.

And yes you can take her to confession yourself but your sent her to a faith school that understood her faith.

I'm pretty sure if it was a school thing then yes the teacher will be asked to come back another day or did the non Catholic children who also learn the flute have a lesson? Or did no one have a flute lesson at all

LynetteScavo Wed 16-Mar-16 21:16:28

But what's the point of none Catholic children going to confession?!

I have no idea! I thought that was very odd!

Today I thought the whole class or year (two classes) might have gone over to the church, so it was a case that nobody could stay in school, but DD says the non Catholic DC didn't go.

As far as I know the Y5 DC still had their flute lesson (its a couple of Y5 DC and a couple of y6 DC in the same lesson). The only DC in DDs class who play flute are Catholic.

I know I should be grateful the school is allowing DD to practice her faith, and I am. I am also grateful she has flute lessons.

I suppose it comes down to what I ,or the school acting in loco parents, consider the most important. When I look at it objectively, I can see they probably made the right decision. If they'd asked DD she would have chosen her flute lesson.

I'm not even sure why I'm annoyed. confused

LynetteScavo Wed 16-Mar-16 21:23:28

PandasRock - flute lesson is at the same time each week.

Confessions for each class are arranged with the priest months in advance, but I've just checked newsletters going back to beginning of Jan, and it's not mentioned in any of the "diary dates". Parents probably were told at some point, but only the day, not the exact time.

And it annoys me that they say "confession" rather than "reconciliation", but that's a whole different issue.

SESthebrave Wed 16-Mar-16 21:30:45

I can understand your annoyance. If the school had communicated properly then maybe you could have had the option to point out that you are happy to take her to reconciliation another time.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Thu 17-Mar-16 17:25:11

There seems to be a push on reconciliation this Lent...so I imagine it's a one off. Not sure this is helpful.

Primaryteach87 Thu 17-Mar-16 17:27:51

I think I'd probably be annoyed too. It's most likely a time tabling oversight on their part. I would bring it up and ask that if it clashes, she has her flute lesson instead.

TeddTess Wed 23-Mar-16 11:09:12

i'd be livid!!

that is a pre-arranged paid for lesson.
she can go to confession anytime. you could take her. it's not up to the school to decide that is more important than her flute lesson.

Cookingwine Wed 23-Mar-16 18:18:55

It is annoying, YANBU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now