Private Schools advice please!

(13 Posts)
Joanna26 Sat 20-Feb-16 17:32:22

My family and I are moving back to Kent after 8 years in Dubai. My daughters aged 8 and 11 are in a lovely small British school out here. We have only just had confirmation of our move and I need to get the girls school places for this September. I'm wondering how likely I would be in getting places at prep/private schools such as Rose Hill, Walthamstow Hall, Sutton Valence or Hilden Grange. These schools don't sound too pushy but are more well rounded. My girls are doing fine but not super academic and love sports and drama. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

happygardening Sat 20-Feb-16 18:34:34

Friends sent their DC's to Sutton Valance they are pleased with it and describe it as happy very non pretentious school offering an all round education. Few country preps are full although I think they said the head told them that spaces at the senior school were more sought after (mainly by those who failed the Kent test) and I suspect the exams/interview for entry into next academic years yr 7 has already been sat so it might be too late for your 11 year old. Your best bet is to contact the admission dept.

Mondrian Sun 21-Feb-16 10:46:26

We were in the same boat but targeting a different area although had eldest pre-booked for 11+ exam back in January which she passed. Our soon to be 10 yr old however was not registered but managed to find a place at a Primary for year 6 entry. I suggest its best to call the admissions in each school and explain your situation, that's what we did with our 10 yr old.

4tensmum6 Wed 24-Feb-16 13:40:31

Would highly recommend Rose Hill. Probably worth giving them a ring...

Joanna26 Wed 24-Feb-16 18:05:16

Yes, loved the sound of Rose Hill. They have a place for my 11 yr old for Year 7 but currently Year 5 is full for September. They say my younger one would get priority on the wait list as a sibling but I'm not sure whether to risk it? Love the school!

Luna9 Wed 24-Feb-16 21:44:31

You will have to risk it and wait until a place comes out for your youngest daughter; specially if you like the school

Joanna26 Thu 25-Feb-16 15:38:50

They sent me a message today saying there isn't a place for my youngest, only my Year 7. I've been out of the system a long time....is it worth calling schools nearby such as Langton Green primary and Claremont and seeing if there is a space for my younger one? We don't have a house yet so can't commit to a catchment area...if that's how it all works!

LIZS Thu 25-Feb-16 15:54:31

Even fOr state schools, catchment won't come into it for an In year application, if there is a place available when you move and there are no others on the waiting list it has to be offered to you. Waiting lists are ranked according to the published criteria. However it is unlikely you would be offered a state school place until you have moved as it needs to be taken up very quickly , some LAs will only look at your application a month or so in advance , and if distance separates 2 on the list , you'd be at a disadvantage. Private schools set their own rules , you can apply from wherever you are in advance and be wait listed.

mary21 Thu 25-Feb-16 17:22:40

Hi
You could accept the place at Rose Hill for your older child. Bearing in mind families only have to give 1 terms notice so they won't know vacencies for September till Easter and hope. When you have an address in the/UK go on all local state school waiting lists and also apply to the LEA to find you a school for your younger child. They do have to find a space but it doesn't have to be your closest school or a good school. It will buy time though till a waiting list place comes up. They will also have to fund transport if the only school is more than 3 miles away.
Or keep phoning round other preps till you find one with space for both DC

Aussiejazz Thu 25-Feb-16 18:31:11

Well worth looking at Ashford School - excellence across the board in last inspection. Both my girls were likewise sporty etc and did extremely well. Now both at uni. I'm biased as I also work at the school.

Great villages around Ashford and within 37min of London by high speed train.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 25-Feb-16 18:34:59

Kent College?

Joanna26 Fri 26-Feb-16 09:04:40

Thank you! Will check out both Ashford and Kent College. Thank you ladies😊

MLP Fri 26-Feb-16 09:18:08

Walthamstow Hall is the only one of those I know - it's lovely. Not overly pushy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now