Would you pay for a non academic Public/Independent school?

(19 Posts)
LilyRiver Fri 19-Feb-16 23:18:38

I don't know anyone that have DC's at Public schools or have even been themselves, and I've no plans to send my DC's, this is simply me being curious. I've always assumed Public schools were naturally geared towards academics, I mean why else are people forking out thousands per term if not for a stellar education for their DC's.

This half term I had some free time and found myself watching documentaries on Public Schools, mainly a series on Harrow, which was very impressive and the other on Gordonstoun which although unique didn't really come across as academically geared (sorry if anyone has DC's there and doesn't agree, don't mean to insult, just the impression) so although it was a nice enough place and all the kids seemed happy, It got me thinking why anyone would pay so much when they could get the same level of education elsewhere for free?

For some it's clearly the boarding experience but surely they could have both? I'm not talking about the level that super selective schools are at but for all that money I would expect it to at least be somewhat academically geared.

Goadyflattery Fri 19-Feb-16 23:24:18

My dd2 has aspergers so I pay for the exceptional pastoral care. She is very bright and got in to a top five SS grammar, but I just want her to be happy.
My other two dc are in state schools, dd2 was very badly bullied in her school so I am lucky to be able to have her in a private school.

Goadyflattery Fri 19-Feb-16 23:25:25

Sorry, just realised that you were specifying public schools, ignore me.

LilyRiver Fri 19-Feb-16 23:28:08

@Goady no, Public/Private I use them interchangeably, I'm referring to any schools that charge fees, sorry if that wasn't clear

caroldecker Fri 19-Feb-16 23:34:08

Because for a number of people it is small change and it is the right school for their children. There are very few non-academic fee paying schools nowadays.

Cookingwine Sat 20-Feb-16 07:14:44

I am with you OP but for people for whom money is no issue they pay for the facilities, the atmosphere, the like minded posh friends, and not all children are academic and parents still want the best for them. Bullying at state schools in the lower sets is often mentioned as a reason for sending kids at private schools.

EricNorthmanSucks Sat 20-Feb-16 08:53:24

From years 7-11 I sent my DD to a non selective private school.

But it wasn't 'non academic' by any stretch. The results are incredible considering the mix of ability.

The pastoral care was superb ( possibly too much? Time to toughen up princess grin).

The extra curricular activities were second to none.

Money well spent.

SweetAdeline Sat 20-Feb-16 08:56:49

Yes. In fact I'd be much more inclined to pay for a school like this if my dc were struggling. It's not about the facilities or networking but the chance to be one of 15-20 in the class not one of 30.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 20-Feb-16 09:01:34

I believe the non-selective independent schools my DSes have been to have bought out the best in them,- academically, socially and physically. The facilities are amazing, the class sizes small, the hours longish, the people they are with ooze confidence.

SpotOn Sat 20-Feb-16 09:15:29

Because there is more to education than academic results.

I went to the local comp and then a fee paying school. It did have an easy entrance exam, but most kids there were reasonably bright. Some very, but it wasn't at all "pushy".

For my parents money I got to be in gorgeous, safe surroundings, decent pastoral care, great facilities, and extra curricular experiences I wouldn't otherwise have had.

SpotOn Sat 20-Feb-16 10:41:23

And yes, I would send my DC to an non academic independent school.

I would however expect the school to get the best from my DC. That may not be all A* at GCSE, but the best my DC can achieve without becoming unhappy or stressed.

BoboChic Sat 20-Feb-16 12:08:02

There is a non-selective girls' school in Kent that I know very well and to which I would never send or recommend anyone send their DD. The headline results are very good (in line with local superselective grammars) and the facilities are fantastic. However, the product of the school is, when English (as opposed to overseas boarders, of which I know nothing), spoiled, narrow-minded, often overweight and entirely devoid of interest, having spent their formative years cloistered in rural comforts.

<shudder>

Each school on its merits - no generalizations from type are possible.

Goadyflattery Sat 20-Feb-16 12:13:19

I think that could be the one that my dd is at Bobo, is it KC?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 20-Feb-16 12:13:49

WH?

Goadyflattery Sat 20-Feb-16 12:16:56

WH is day though, Bobo mentioned boarders from overseas.

Goadyflattery Sat 20-Feb-16 12:17:32

Dd is overweight though to be fair grin

BoboChic Sat 20-Feb-16 12:19:40

GoadyFlattery - smile

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 20-Feb-16 12:21:41

True. Must be KC then!

Goadyflattery Sat 20-Feb-16 12:29:30

Oh well, I'll get over it. We turned down TOGS for our own reasons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now