Parents evening

(9 Posts)
NewLife4Me Fri 19-Feb-16 22:45:11

What info should we get from parent's evening?

I always forget to ask something, get home and then remember.
So what should parent's know during y7?

Sorry, but preparing for ours, I know it's holidays and not many have them atm.

Icouldbeknitting Sat 20-Feb-16 14:39:39

If you know that you will forget to ask something then take a list of what you want to cover. Other than that I use ours as a session of "is there anything you want to tell me?" Looking back I wish I'd had the nerve to skip a few because most of them were a waste of my time and the teacher's.

NewLife4Me Sat 20-Feb-16 16:58:02

Thanks Icould

I did consider a list and know some things I'd like to ask, but my problem is not realising I should have asked about certain things until I get home, so would miss them off the list in the first place iyswim.

Our parents evenings are really good and we get 3 a year, sometimes I sit twiddling thumbs and let them do the talking. Just wanted to be a bit more proactive than usual.

TheLesserSpottedBee Sun 21-Feb-16 08:02:16

For year 7 my questions were

Is the end of year target realistic for my child?
Is there anything my child can be doing to better themselves?
Is there anything you think we should focus on? ie where one element is letting them down mark wise.

We also got given websites to help with languages which was helpful. We only booked core subjects teachers, other subjects our son is interested in and his form teacher.

We had an open evening where you got to see the work of other year 7 students (books laid open to same work) to help see the range of abilities.

TeenAndTween Sun 21-Feb-16 16:02:11

For each subject, up to 3 questions / points.

I would always ask DD before hand if she had any issues (e.g. teacher going too fast).

I often wanted to ask/say things like
- other teachers have said more detail needed, do you have same issue
- has trouble listening and taking notes simultaneously

Then otherwise things like
- is she making progress
- any key things to work on

Broadly speaking, I visit core subjects, subjects with 'issues', then ones DD is keen on. I've never visited an Art or PE teacher in my life.

Dreamgirls234 Sun 21-Feb-16 16:07:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NewLife4Me Sun 21-Feb-16 19:15:44

Dreaming

We speak to houseparents regularly so won't really need this.
it's the academic side I'm a bit useless on.
When I'm there I'm always happy with the info we are given and go away think/talk to dd etc.
Then, it may be something I read on here that makes me think, or tv, or could just enter my thoughts and I wonder wtf I didn't ask at parents evening.
The one downside is you can't really contact the teachers directly and to do it indirectly through house parent seems silly when quite often it isn't anything important I forgot, iyswim.

Will definitely ask about targets.
Is there anything specific I should ask about the core subjects? Should I be told where she is in relation to peers or nationally.
Like average, below average, slightly above etc.

Dreamgirls234 Sun 21-Feb-16 20:44:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NewLife4Me Sun 21-Feb-16 22:44:22

Dream

I pester if there's something I need to know or if I just need to touch base between parents evenings, reports etc.
They are great though and email on the day something happens, however small.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now