London private schools 11+, if you are out of year group does it matter

(9 Posts)
smilesandsun Wed 17-Feb-16 17:32:38

Hi just wondering if you have had experience with this in London day schools? Do you get marked down if you are out of year group despite your exam results etc?

LIZS Wed 17-Feb-16 17:36:34

You mean if you sit 11+ but are older? Some schools standardise their tests based on age, others don't accept out if year applications.

isthisabigdeal Wed 17-Feb-16 18:35:22

I think it varies from school to school. I know Alleyns and Dulwich won't accept out of year applications

smilesandsun Wed 17-Feb-16 18:58:42

yes I mean if you are a few weeks out of year, so 2 - 3 weeks older.

LookatmeMum Wed 17-Feb-16 19:10:43

Yes it is possible. I know of someone who did it but l don't know of the specific reasons who an out of year application was allowed. CLSB specifically state that they have discretion on out of year places but whether in practise they ever make an offer to such a person l don't know. Your head would probably have to negotiate something. If parents are allowed to defer entry into reception then l assume private senior schools will have to accommodate this at least in terms of an application.

isthisabigdeal Wed 17-Feb-16 21:28:41

My DS is 5 days off the cut off point for being in the year below and was prem so his adjusted age would put him in the year below but the schools I spoke to wouldn't have allowed him to apply in the year below. As the last poster said though I would imagine this will have to change with people now being able to defer starting school.

As he started at the 'right' time the schools were only willing to assess him based on the number of years he had been in education (we were contemplating redoing YR 1 but I plan ahead blush)

LookatmeMum Wed 17-Feb-16 22:14:01

Isthisabigdeal, did you try CLSB?

smilesandsun Thu 18-Feb-16 08:15:43

thanks all. Sounds like its something I will need to talk to all the schools about.

Though I imagine in 5 or 6 years it won't be an issue as it is now permitted to defer entry into reception. Though that won't help me as we're already at year 4.

thx

smilesandsun Tue 23-Feb-16 09:16:13

Ive asked a few local private schools and they all say they prefer people in year. I guess with how London is over subscribed that means choice is limited if you are out of year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now