If I want to work as a TA this September, when should I start applying?

(9 Posts)
angelinalo Sun 17-Jan-16 06:49:42

Hi all,

I am interested in getting a TA job in primary or secondary school, ideally full time, and am happy to work overtime, in holidays and so on. I have the relevant 'working with children' experience, including children with special needs.

Does anyone know when job vacancies will start to go live, perhaps from Easter? Are they advertised on a central local government website or should I approach individual schools (or both)?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! smile

ChalkHearts Sun 17-Jan-16 07:05:16

Normally they're advertised on a council website. Google 'county' teaching assistant jobs and see if you can find it.

Or if you say which county you're in someone might be able to tell it to you.

TAs don't have to give a terms notice like teachers so many jobs are advertised in July.

SisterViktorine Sun 17-Jan-16 07:08:57

It depends by area. In my current area TA jobs all go on the council website. In my previous area they all went on Greensheets. Some areas use eTeach as standard.

There are also agencies- Axcis are great if you are interested in SEND.

There is a turnover of TAs all year so jobs are advertised continually. If you want to start work in September just start hunting end of May/ June.

cece Sun 17-Jan-16 07:11:52

TAs notice period is much shorter than for teachers. I therefore think their jobs come up with shorter notice. Plus if you were to be a SEN TA then these roles come up randomly when funding comes through - so throughout the year.

angelinalo Sun 17-Jan-16 07:18:54

Brilliant, thanks thank you all for the information and links!

PettsWoodParadise Sun 17-Jan-16 12:40:54

I have friends who are TAs and I am sure you are aware but in most instances they only get paid during term time, not during school holidays.

MummySparkle Sun 17-Jan-16 12:46:06

I'm salaried, but I don't get paid for school holidays. It gets split evenly throughout the school year though. I have gone in the holidays with another's member of my department to make sure everything is set up for the new term.

My vacancy was advertised in November for a January start - they come up as and when. Previous job I think interviews were in June for a September start.

We have a county teaching jobs website which has every school-based job in one place. I called around all of the local schools, but it was a bit pointless as they all said they would advertise on the website!

wannabestressfree Sun 17-Jan-16 12:46:41

It's pro rata for ta's where I teach although sometimes you can pick up extras eg if you had a degree and someone was long term sick my school would pay £1o a lesson on top. They can also do Saturday School.
Our jobs are very much 'we have a space lets fill it now'.

raspberryrippleicecream Sun 17-Jan-16 19:02:09

Yes, keep an eye on the Council website,. Plus our local special school always needs bank staff, as often does the LA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now