The Acorn School, Morden and The Acorn School, Nailsworth

(8 Posts)
splodgypickles Fri 15-Jan-16 00:28:42

Any advice or reviews on this school please. We're thinking of sending DD and DS there and would love to hear from any current parents. Honest opinions please!

spandexbob Fri 15-Jan-16 00:51:23

I know some former parents of the Acorn school local to me. They found the regime rather difficult and moved to a Steiner School in one case and mainstream state school in the others.

Have you visited? Have you read the headmaster's blog?

Noitsnotteatimeyet Fri 15-Jan-16 07:31:55

Have you looked at it really carefully? It is effectively a Steiner school and you only need to do a cursory search on these boards to realise how contentious Steiner-based education is ...

spandexbob Fri 15-Jan-16 16:28:18

It isn't quite a Steiner school, though. The head invented his own system and is very, extreme. Head's blog

botheredandbewildered Fri 15-Jan-16 22:34:56

I have a 10 year old daughter at the London Acorn. She started in September and is absolutely loving it. She was previously disenchanted and disengaged in a decent primary school. The Acorn has totally turned her back on to the idea of learning.
The school has close links with the Acorn in Nailsworth, but operates independently. It is similar to a Steiner school, more so in the kindergarten. Parents agree to a charter which states that children under 12 should not watch any television or use computers/tablets/mobile phones, etc. Devices are then gradually introduced as the children get older. This has actually been very easy, and my daughter doesn't seem to think she's missing very much.
I would highly recommend the school. There is an Open Morning on 23rd January, so come along and have a look!

splodgypickles Fri 22-Jan-16 21:38:15

thanks everyone for their feedback. Difficult to know what to do - if anyone knows of a holy grail school for us... great academics, not overly punitive or pushy with a 'whole child' ethos? IS there such a school out there?!! I'll go along to the open day tomorrow and see what's what.

Haahooooo Sat 23-Jan-16 10:42:28

I'm not sure of your location OP but if near Wimbledon have you looked at The Rowans?

splodgypickles Sun 24-Jan-16 14:13:52

thanks Haahooooo
will check it out smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now