Does anyone have a child at________Sherbourne Prep school______???

(42 Posts)
RTKangaSANTAMummy Sun 17-Dec-06 15:37:25
RTKangaSANTAMummy Sun 17-Dec-06 15:41:53

if so what is it like?

One of my friends is thinking about sending her DS there

PrincessPeaHead Sun 17-Dec-06 15:46:21

hmmmmmmmm.
does she know the history? has never been a good school, previous owner/headmaster a long term paedophile who was FINALLY sent to prison, don't know what the story is now but as a school it always gave me the creeps (and now we know why)

RTKangaSANTAMummy Sun 17-Dec-06 15:52:00

Blimey no I am sure she didn't know that!!!

she is moving near to it from London and saw the website and was impressed

Was going to try to get her DS1 a place

Are there other peads there still???

PrincessPeaHead Sun 17-Dec-06 15:52:56

there are lots of better prep schools in the area. sandroyd, port regis, hazlewood, hanford, knighton house to name a few off the top of my head.

Oh and re what I was saying before:

"January 1999: headmaster of Sherborne Preparatory School Robin Lindsay has resigned after numerous investigations found his behaviour with young boys at the school "inappropriate". At an Independent School Tribunal, treasury barrister David Elvin acting for the DfEE said Lindsay, under police questioning, had admitted to behaviour which was later classed as a "fixated paedophile".

This had been going on for over 20 years. Everyone in the town knew it was a horrible school but not really why. I believe a lot of the staff are still the same, why they didn't notice I don't know. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

PrincessPeaHead Sun 17-Dec-06 15:56:37

I love this from the site "In September 1998 the School became a Charitable Trust with a Board of Governors and a new Headmaster. " ummmm, that would be because the owner and existing headmaster had been abusing our pupils for years - yup, better just leave it at that, no need to go into more details.

I'll tell you what is interesting about it - practically NO children from the prep school ended up at Sherborne Girls or Boys, which is bizarre, you would have expected it to be the feeder school for them. But there was clearly NO support for it from either of the senior schools and if you asked any of the housemistresses if you should send clara's little sister to sherborne prep they always said no- better to go to Hanford.

RTKangaSANTAMummy Sun 17-Dec-06 16:00:57

Blimey !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll let her know, she found the website and thought it looked really good

Thanks I guess they can make a fancy website to get outside people in who don't know about it's history

I will give her the other names of the other schools

Thanks

IMHO if it has such a bad reputation in the area that should be taken notice of

As the people in the area will know more than a family from London

I said to her I would ask on MN but I was expecting glowing reports of how good it was

Thank you for the local knowledge and tips

I am sure she will change her mind now

RTKangaSANTAMummy Sun 17-Dec-06 16:02:43

That is what she thought it would be a feeder school to the senior Sherbourne

ie her DSs would be sorted up to 18 iyswim

tamum Sun 17-Dec-06 16:03:11

Would Hazlegrove be too far? PPH will know better than me, but it used to be quite good and I know of people who went there relatively recently and were happy. Scene of many a happy teenage party for me, the website brings back memories....

PrincessPeaHead Sun 17-Dec-06 16:06:43

my brother went to hazlegrove!
teenage parties? were you snogging 10 year olds tamum? I think we should be told......

hazlegrove, sandroyd or port regis (bit more of a hike) are your feeders for sherborne BS.

Unless Enid can give you more info, being a local and all...

PrincessPeaHead Sun 17-Dec-06 16:08:29

bloody 'ell hazlegrove has girls now, must email my bro

tamum Sun 17-Dec-06 16:09:59

My friend's father was the Head there so she used to have parties there in the holidays, no 10 year olds involved, honest Did he go to King's afterwards?

PrincessPeaHead Sun 17-Dec-06 16:14:39

no tamum he had an iq of over 80

winchester

ahhhhhhh, re the parties

RTKangaSANTAMummy Sun 17-Dec-06 16:19:02

Cheers thanks guys

MN is deffo brill

I know nothing of the geography around the area

@ party stories

tamum Sun 17-Dec-06 16:21:31

<snigger at IQ of over 80> He would have stuck out like a sore thumb, I can see

PrincessPeaHead Sun 17-Dec-06 16:35:10

<phew> at the <snigger>, as I hit post I thought "Oh my God, her 4 brothers and father probably went there"
are you a Dorzet Lass?

tamum Sun 17-Dec-06 16:37:24

No, we're not that posh, don't worry I grew up in Somerset and went to a girls' school not a million miles from King's....

PrincessPeaHead Sun 17-Dec-06 16:41:40

not ssg?

tamum Sun 17-Dec-06 16:45:43

No, closer than that- BSFG. Were you at SSG?

PrincessPeaHead Sun 17-Dec-06 17:03:46

yup!

tamum Sun 17-Dec-06 17:08:23

If I'd been any good at hockey we might have played against each other then

PrincessPeaHead Sun 17-Dec-06 17:10:28

you certainly wouldn't have, I was never in a team for ANYTHING!

I was the one always lugging a cello around instead...

tamum Sun 17-Dec-06 17:24:31

Oh good, you and me both then, except mine was a clarinet (do you know which school I mean btw? I was probably being unnecessarily cryptic, it's usually got another name).

PrincessPeaHead Sun 17-Dec-06 19:07:42

yup, I assume so, in the same town as kings...
never really had much to do with them though, there were too many schools in town to have to look outside IYKWIM

9BeetrootsDancing Sun 17-Dec-06 19:12:17

Hazelgrove is great. as is wells Cathedral school.

Srerboune senior school is great, - single sex though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now