term time holidays in reception

(8 Posts)
jellycanwait Thu 09-Jul-15 19:40:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wolfiefan Thu 09-Jul-15 19:44:30

I wouldn't do it actually. They need to settle and get used to the idea that you can't just take days off.
But your attitude comes across really well. I would advise school that you will be taking a day of holiday right at the start of the school year. You can ask if there are assemblies etc days you shouldn't miss.
FYI mine were far too exhausted in the autumn term to do Chessington etc!

Leeds2 Fri 10-Jul-15 13:49:35

I wouldn't, tbh.

Could you find out when the inset days are, and go then?

HeyDuggee Fri 10-Jul-15 14:25:22

I wouldn't do it only because you won't be able to continue this tradition the year after, and the year after that. It will be easier to explain that now that he's going to school, his special day out will be moved to the nearest weekend.

Sirzy Fri 10-Jul-15 14:28:02

As others have said I wouldn't as it starts something you can't continue.

Much better to use inset days, or just go during school holidays.

chantico Fri 10-Jul-15 14:39:14

It can be very unsettling to miss days in reception, and I agree it's better to make the change you 'you're at school now, so we'll celebrate at the weekend' from the very off.

And if you have chosen to enrol at school, they are expected to attend. You cannot be fined until the stat age, but might be referred to EWO, or fall under any other attendance management measures at the school.

TheUnwillingNarcheska Sat 11-Jul-15 10:06:14

We always use inset days as they are individual to each school. Luckily for us there is one very close to ds1's birthday so we tend to use that for day trips. Ours are always on a Monday so we can tag a weekend onto it and they do get 5 inset days a year.

I totally understand why you want to do it, but this is what it is like having a child in school.

Starlightbright1 Sat 11-Jul-15 10:11:11

I am not anti term time trips but I would say no in September. They are just settling in , making friendship groups. I took my DS to Lego land in July when he was in reception ( in the days when it could be approved)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now