School Transport

(12 Posts)
Gilbo1972 Tue 16-Jun-15 20:29:13

Hi, can anyone help or give info about transport to school?

So my DS is starting secondary school in September. I have read the LEA policy over again and again, but it just says if your first preference is not the nearest suitable school you are ineligible.... However...

Our nearest school is a local state school and our second nearest is a CofE school. Both are over the 3 miles statutory walking distance. If my DS was going to either he would receive free school transport.

Both of these schools were on our preferences, however, our first preference was a super-selective grammar school which is even further away and we felt was more suited to him.

Therefore we won't be receiving free transport as we have chosen a school further away then the nearest school. But my question is, the government say that if the nearest school is over 3 miles walking the LEA must provide transport, but the LEA have a line saying that the nearest school must be the one you are going too.

Any advice or anyone had similar? Just wondered if I should accept it, or question it and if so how to go about it as I can't see getting anywhere by just ringing the transport department? wink

many thanks

NeddToDecideTodayShit Tue 16-Jun-15 20:34:02

Where we are it is the nearest appropriate school for which you are eligible so if you qualify for grammar and choose the closest one you get transport help. But that's a fully grammar country. Might be worth a go though?

NeddToDecideTodayShit Tue 16-Jun-15 20:34:24

* county*

titchy Tue 16-Jun-15 20:43:28

Not an expert but I think they're are interpreting the legislation correctly sorry. If you'd have put your nearest school first and been offered a place you'd get the transport to it. But you waived that right when you expressed a higher preference for a further away school. If you had your nearest as first choice but weren't offered a place and allocated one further away you'd also have free transport. The fact is though you chose a school further away.

meditrina Tue 16-Jun-15 20:51:03

Very few LAs provide more than the stat minimum for school transport.

The school the pupil attends must be 3+ miles away, and it's totally legal to state that transport will only be provided to the nearest school which could have offered a place. (Slightly different rules if in receipt of certain benefits).

If you opt for a more distant school, you're on your own. All schools being 3+ miles away is not rrelevant.

superram Tue 16-Jun-15 20:55:52

You did not choose your nearest school so he is not eligible. Also, they do not have to provide transport, only travel assistance. At secondary the distance is 3 miles or 70 minutes so could provide a bus pass for him to travel independently. The days of buses door to door are well and truly over.

lougle Tue 16-Jun-15 21:08:37

No, the Government say if your nearest school is over 3 miles, they must provide transport to that school. However, if you could have attended your nearest school, then the LA are not obliged to find transport to a further school.

Gilbo1972 Tue 16-Jun-15 22:20:52

thanks guys, I just wondered about the discrepancy between the Government's stance of must provide over 3 miles and the LEA stance of preference overriding it. I wasn't expecting free travel but wondered if there may be a chance of getting some help. But no worries, at least I can save myself some stress trying to follow this up! grin

prh47bridge Wed 17-Jun-15 00:50:56

There is no discrepancy. You have misunderstood the government's stance. Your LA is following the law correctly. If you choose to send your child to a school which is not the one nearest home you are not entitled to free transport.

soapboxqueen Wed 17-Jun-15 08:07:03

I agree there is no discrepancy. You get transport to your nearest school of it is over 3 miles. Transport to any other school is your own responsibility. Otherwise people could demand schools in Manchester when they live in London and then get free transport for it.

Lurknomoreladies Wed 17-Jun-15 08:24:12

In a full grammar county here and as far as I understand you only get free transport to the nearest suitable school. The secondary moderns (old parlance, I know) are considered suitable schooling for children of grammar ability so unless the grammar school is your nearest school you won't get free transport. Sounds like your LA implements the same thing.

Gilbo1972 Wed 17-Jun-15 09:25:34

Maybe discrepancy is the wrong word. I have read the education act and the LEA,s policy, unfortunately I don't have either to quote. But I was just curious as the government say it is their duty to help if the school is over 3 miles, which the nearest is, but the LEA will consider further schools if it is religious or is suitable for the child's ability and aptitude. I guess maybe I thought that the fact that they would help anyway they might consider helping out because all 3 suitable schools are over the 3 miles! Just curious...smile I appreciate the discussion. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now