Caldicott

(10 Posts)
Portofino2003 Mon 15-Jun-15 12:13:05

Hello, I have never posted anything on Mumsnet but really wanted to know if anyone can help here... I have a son who is due to start Caldicott this September. He is bright and sporty but very much a home boy! We've visited the school on numerous open days etc and the vibrance and enthusiasm, happiness and confidence of all the boys really does grab us every time. We've committed to starting in September 2015 but our dilemma is this: if we decide that boarding in the long term is not right for him/us, does the school support parents in re-entering the London Day School route at 13? Does anyone have any examples of this being done/achieved by others who, like us, can't yet tell if our son/ourselves are yet truly up for the whole boarding thing...? Any insights would be hugely appreciated as we are aware that Caldicott does mainly feed to other top senior boarding schools. Many thanks! West-london-mum-in-a-panic.

grovel Mon 15-Jun-15 14:29:44

I once stayed at the Splendido in Portofino. All holidays since have been mildly disappointing.

I've got a nephew at Westminster (day boy, moved up from Westminster Under school). His best friend there boarded at Cothill so clearly the country preps can prepare boys for London secondaries. I can't see why Caldicott would not support you/your son.

grovel Mon 15-Jun-15 14:33:37

I've just looked at Caldicott's website. One of their leavers this year is going to Westminster.

sleepingdog Mon 15-Jun-15 15:28:20

The norm is for boys to move onto boarding school. Look at the results for the past few years - the number of day boys can be counted on one hand. It is compulsory boarding in years 7-8, with many electing to board from the summer of year 6. It is boarding immersion...!

Portofino2003 Tue 16-Jun-15 10:59:49

That's very kind, thanks so much. Yes anything else after The Splendido is sadly underwhelming! I'm aware Caldicott is boarding immersion. I guess I just want/need to keep all options open as he longs to be in the countryside and wide open spaces as opposed to London. The open day there this weekend was simply stunning, i can't think of a more idyllic place for a boy to spend his early years… Very much appreciate the feedback!

grovel Tue 16-Jun-15 13:35:08

I once showed a London 7 year old around our local prep school (he was at Thomas's Kensington). It had never occurred to him that a school could have 40 acres of playing fields etc.

peteneras Tue 16-Jun-15 17:05:24

Yes, many (if not all) of the London preps are small and congested. Not at all suitable imo to a sporty kid. I remember visiting Sussex House, not too far behind Harrods, many moons ago. Even before I entered the school, I was completely put off by the lack of space and the cramped environment.

And The Hall, a stone's throw away from Swiss Cottage tube station isn't any better if not worse. A narrow street at the front that two cars can hardly pass. I remember thinking to myself I couldn't see how I could let my son be here for the next few years before senior school.

OP, I finally found what I was looking for at Papplewick in Ascot. Vast open spaces for sports and outdoor activities including a swimming pool, etc. DS had played many matches against Caldicott. And due to its close proximity to Twickenham, had often gone there to watch international rugby. I'm certain your sporty son at Caldicott will play many matches against Papplewick in the next few years.

beancounter50 Sun 05-Jul-15 01:04:22

Caldicott is full of bright sporty boys and I'm sure your son will love it. If boarding really isn't for him then some boys leave at the end of year 6 before boarding starts, but not many. By then the boys are mostly looking forward to it as they know the teachers, the rest of their year and the routine.

CharlesRyder Sun 05-Jul-15 20:08:09

he longs to be in the countryside and wide open spaces

Caldicott is in Slough!!

We've just move from a couple of roads away from Caldicott (which does look lovely- I'm not criticising) to Dorset and the idea of it being anything close to a rural idyll makes me laugh. grin

I'm sure going back to a day school will be fine if your DS wants to.

Zippitydodah Mon 06-Jul-15 11:23:47

My thoughts - based on visits to the school/friends with children there now (and having gone through).

Simon Doggart makes it clear that this is a boarding school. It is geared towards going to full boarding. My DH was at Westminster - we mentioned this and although the odd one or two go to Westminster or Merchant Taylors this is not the usual route.

There are no exceptions re boarding at YR7/8 - even if you live next to the school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now