Any advice on teaching children related to you?

(4 Posts)
NuttyCake Sat 30-May-15 19:47:38

I'm about to be assigned a new class. It's ideal. Location and ages are right for me. One problem is an extended family member is in the class. I haven't had any experience of this before. I wouldn't see her that often, maybe about once a month at family dinners or meet up.
Has anyone any experience of this? What kind of ground rules to set? Her parents are approachable and would be happy to agree to keep things professional but what other kinds of things should I be aware of?
I'm worried about down the line, in case I need to discipline or ask for more parental input to homework, etc. It could get awkward.

grabaspoon Sun 31-May-15 13:00:29

I wouldn't imagine it would be hard if youre not that involved.

eddiemairswife Sun 31-May-15 15:42:50

Just treat her like any other pupil. I taught my youngest for about 6 weeks when she was 11. She never called me "Mum" when in school; I never chatted to her during the day; didn't grant her any favours and certainly didn't indulge in any school gossip at home when she was around.

manicinsomniac Mon 01-Jun-15 00:28:38

It will be fine. Just establish with her from the start that she calls you Mrs/Ms/Miss NuttyCake rather than whatever she normally calls you and let her know that home and school boundaries are very different.

I teach two of my own children and it's not a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now