What should i prepare when i go to UK

(7 Posts)
cecilia1233 Sat 23-May-15 17:02:44

Hello! I’m going to go to Pocklington School at eastern York in Sept. to study 6th from. I have been to Pocklington School and I love there.
Now I’m wondering about which items I should prepare when I go to UK from my homeland. Bring all my Clothes or buy it after I arrive? And so on.
In additional, I don’t know if I need to bring some formal clothes? Does the 6th form student need it? Also I’m thinking about bring some ancient Chinese Clothing such as hanfu or cheong-sam. I don’t know whether they are necessary.
Thank you.

queenruth Sat 23-May-15 17:13:30

Dear Cecilia - this is perhaps not the best place to ask these questions, but I do not think you will need the ancient Chinese clothing. I would suggest you bring a few items of clothing to wear at first, and then buy more clothes here because I think the climate is different here and there will be more clothes which are suitable for the weather here. You can also get to see what other people are wearing and buy what makes you feel comfortable here.

I don't know if you will need formal clothes at Pocklington School sixth form - I think it would be a good idea to telephone them and ask.

LIZS Thu 28-May-15 08:57:44

I don't think Pocklington is particularly formal , it is in a small market town and fairly rural. Many boarding schools suggest uniform ( which may be business suit style in 6th form plus school logoed sportswear which can only be obtained at the school shop) and a minimum of casual/smart casual for weekends and trips - your joining instructions will specify - as storage will be limited. York is pretty close for weekend trips and has an outlet mall so am sure you could supplement the basics as you go but it may be pricier than at home. Tbh I wouldn't bother to bring much traditional dress.

LIZS Thu 28-May-15 09:10:57

http://www.pocklingtonschool.com/school-shop/

You can ring for a list and to ask questions. Also browse the website and see what others are wearing.

darklingjane Fri 29-May-15 18:57:58

Cecilia
At my son's boarding school they have some formal dinners but as Liz and ruth say - email or phone them to ask. If they do have formal occasions and you want to wear e.g. a cheong-sam for that , great , otherwise not sure if you would need it.

Apart from any sports things you might want I would say bring the clothes you wear now and supplement them if needs be whilst you are here. Bear in mind unless Pocklington is very different from DS's school there won't be walk in wardrobes so be sensible about the amount of things you bring!

Apart from that, for what it's worth , what my son has taken and used off the top of my head ;

- A very cheap little desk lamp to supplement what he was provided with (probably better to buy here if you need it)
- Speakers / earphones etc for an iPod or iPhone
- Mug for cups of tea etc
- He took a picnic set of cutlery (i.e. for 1 person - fork, knife and spoon which slot together in a case - for times when they order a takeaway
- a little uplighter for more ambient lighting than the room lights give grin (again buy here if you need it)
- if you can fit in some clothes hangers which are light and don't take up much space e.g. wire ones , that could be useful depending on how many have been left in your wardrobe or buy here if you need them.
- I am sure it will say on your list you will be given of uniform etc but a lockable tuck box. Really important things like passport etc the school will hold I am sure but there may be other things you would like to keep locked up in your room.
- Apart from bathrobe a pair of flip flops is useful for going to and from showers.

However do not panic. York is a great city and you will be able to buy anything you realise you have not brought with you.

Good luck with it
DJ

darklingjane Fri 29-May-15 19:21:46

One more thought

If you think you might buy more clothes when you are here bring extra name tapes with you if you will be relying on the school laundry, and don't buy anything which needs delicate laundering smile

mummytime Fri 29-May-15 22:59:22

I would bring a few traditional Chinese clothes, just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now