Send child to school of namesake name?

(10 Posts)
thefifthpanda Thu 21-May-15 16:03:00

Would you expect there to be any awkwardness for a child to be sent to a school of their same name, eg. "Lady PomPom's" if she was called PomPom or would this not affect your choice in the slightest?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 21-May-15 16:09:51

So you wouldn't like to send an Eleanor to Lady Eleanor Holles for example? It's an odd consideration, OP.

AtomicDog Thu 21-May-15 16:12:06

But lots of schools are named after people, and there are some very popular names about. Unless you name DC very unusual names, I do not see how you could always avoid it.

00100001 Thu 21-May-15 16:13:15

it wouldn't affect the choice

AtomicDog Thu 21-May-15 16:14:42

FWIW I don't think anyone would bat an eyelid at a child named Thomas attending St Thomas' primary.
However, if your child is named Peter Symonds, and they went to Peter Symonds, people are bound to remark upon it!

BikeRunSki Thu 21-May-15 16:18:24

It's a point of brief conversation, not a reason to avoid a school that may be right for your child.

thefifthpanda Thu 21-May-15 17:32:31

Thankyou all. MN sense prevails! grin

BackforGood Sun 24-May-15 18:37:17

Definitely wouldn't consider in the choice, but might want to have a think and prepare a few "off the cuff" responses for them, when it is commented upon, when they start grin

mummytime Wed 27-May-15 10:00:10

If you had exactly the same name as DCs school it would be a bit of a joke for the first few weeks, and perhaps reoccuring at prize giving. It would be awkward if you spelt it slightly differently. (But you would also definitely not be a direct descendent or be accused of nepotism).

WalkingThePlank Thu 28-May-15 21:52:15

I went to a school that was St 'my first name'.

I don't recall anyone ever commenting on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now