King Alfred School North London

(13 Posts)
LindsLou Fri 24-Oct-14 19:32:52

2 and half years ago my son who was in year 9 was asked to leave the school he had been attending for 7 years. It's a long story and I won't bore you with the details. They failed him miserably and he/we were treated appallingly.
I have been approached by some exparents who heard about us and wanted to share their experience, which is not dissimilar to ours. They are aware of other disgruntled parents, as am I. I was wondering if in fact there were more people out there in Mums Net World that have had a negative experience at this school and and are not happy to sit back and let it carry on happening to other people. Please feel free to send me a private message.

Greenfizzywater Sat 25-Oct-14 13:12:44

It's always had an odd reputation, but I thought the pastoral care was supposed to be excellent. What happened?

NotTheKitchenAgainPlease Sat 25-Oct-14 13:13:57

I didn't like the look of it - what's wrong with it?

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sat 25-Oct-14 13:15:19

Yeah I've only ever heard good (if "alternative" - teachers using first names, no uniform, flexible timetable.... ) about it.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sat 25-Oct-14 13:15:58

The grounds are amazing for a London school.

LindsLou Sat 25-Oct-14 15:12:00

Unfortunately Greenfizzywater, It's all smoke and mirrors. It would be quicker and easier for me to tell you what is right with it NotTheKitchenAgain.
I don't think calling teachers by their first name and no school uniform are the only ingredients for a good school. The time table is very inflexible, mainly becasue the school is so small and they would be the 1st to admit this.
There you go NotTheKitchenAgain, HeartsTrumpsDiamonds has compiled the list of good things about the school for me.
North Londers are dying to get their kids in there to rub shoulders with the uber groovey celebs and are blinded by it. The school trades on this and is very complacent, feeling safe in the knowledge that if a child leaves these another one to fill the place.

Greenfizzywater Sun 26-Oct-14 13:44:56

I knew two children who went there when I was growing up,their parents were multi millionaires and I only knew them as their parents donated to a charity that my Dad ran. It had a reputation as being a place where you sent children who were unlikely to be troubled by the need to earn a living......

LindsLou Sun 26-Oct-14 17:06:28

There is a lot of that going on but also people send their kids there if they don't pass the entrance exams of other private schools in the area. Some people do genuinely believe that a more relaxed approach to education is the way forward or right for their child. It's only when they realise their kids are not perhaps doing as well as they should that they panic and by then it's too late as it's difficult to get them in anywhere else, or the good local state schools are full and in any case they are worried they might be sending their lamb to the slaughter. What happens is they end up paying over £5000 per term and getting tutors. In actual fact you would be surprised how much of that goes on in the private sector anyway. My son had a tutor and with the exception of my son who eventually went to state school and a girl who was home schooled all her pupils went to fee paying schools.

pinkfrocks Mon 27-Oct-14 15:02:41

Just observing but do you not have to be a little careful about what you write about schools this way because of slander/ libel law?

It seems a little unfair that the forum can become a soap box like this but no one from the school will presumably reply to give their side to the complaints.

Greenfizzywater Mon 27-Oct-14 19:36:25

I have seen a thread about the West London Free School where the head of the primary school came on and replied, so schools can reply.

pinkfrocks Tue 28-Oct-14 07:31:05

They can if they wish yes, but I'm still wondering about possible legal action if a school is slagged off on a public forum when there are always 2 sides to everything.

4321gabster Sun 22-May-16 00:41:36

King Alfred's, Trevor Roberts or Heathside Prep?
Any 'what's it's really like' info will be super helpful! Thx xoxo

aleina123 Wed 02-Nov-16 19:53:19

LindsLou I really think that you are being unfair in generalizing the school and the children who attend as well as presenting a maybe biased opinion that was an unfortunate experience for you and your child but does not necessarily reflect the ethos or the school as a whole. By saying that the main reason that North London parents send their kids there is to "rub shoulders" with other children who's parents are rich and famous shows the parents to be pretentious and shallow. Its misleading to say that parents will realize that there children are struggling there and that they may not do well because of the relaxed approach of the school, which I believe is only in place to give the children a childhood as well as an education.I don't believe that privately educated pupils are the ones who spend a fortune on outside pupils as the education taught in any school is only useful when the child is willing to apply themselves. I know that in other schools the children are forced into learning and applying all of the education that they are being taught but King Alfred's teaches the children to want to use and learn the information rather than them learning it merely because they're made to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now