French education system. advice needed please

(6 Posts)
boba47 Fri 29-Aug-14 11:00:09

Hi, having moved to France at Christmas my child is in French primary school. He was put in CP as he was 6. The school have said he will go up to CE1 in Sept. I have a few concerns, He only did 6 months of the year and had various illnesses where he missed school. He is very timid, not ur typical little boy. He has only picked up a few French words. I tried to ask the school but was told they couldn't stay in CP and re-double. It wasn't allowed? I am confussed as this was not the case with friends who have been over here. Is there a change in law etc. I have tried to call education sites re this but all have said they can redouble!! Can I refuse he goes up till I believe he is ready. He spent his life playing catch up in UK schools as he is a late summer born, don't want it here. Any advice would be great

Coolas Fri 29-Aug-14 17:28:52

I know that they are trying to really minimise those kids who have to re-double as they find it can be upsetting for them (and expensive for the government presumably), but I am not sure how much joy you will get from saying that you refuse for him to go up. They have 'conseils de classe' (a meeting with various representatives) and go through each child to decide whether or not they have to retake the year.
It is worth writing to say that you are very concerned about it and would like your child to re-take the year. If you have don't succeed you will be in no worse a position than if you haven't tried. It might seem to you that he has only picked up a few words, but the receptive skills are far far more advanced than the productive skills, so it could well be that he understands most of what is going on but is reticent to speak. Do you know if he talks in French in class yet? He may well not talk to you in French because you talk English at home and it would seem weird to him (presuming you do speak English).

boba47 Fri 29-Aug-14 19:19:28

Thanks for replying 'coolas' He has learnt some words but doesn't talk in French in class yet as there are four other English Children in his class so he doesnt have too. He just sticks with them. I was thinking of taking him down the private route in the hope of placing him in the year below as I do think as a Mum we do know are children best. I have no hesitation letting my other two children move up a year as I think they are ready but I do struggle with the idea of him doing it. Thanks again for taking the trouble to give me your insight

DarceyBustle Tue 02-Sep-14 13:18:47

Gosh I am surprised the teachers aren't very strict about only speaking French at school. Certainly my daughter wouldn't have dared (although that was in CH).

Does he have any French extra curriculars?

Isthiscorrect Tue 02-Sep-14 16:12:21

Boba47 try asking this in the homes and gardens/ living overseas section. There are quite a few MN who live in France and May well be able to advise you. Good luck.

DanFmDorking Tue 02-Sep-14 20:44:06

Two interesting articles about French Education:-
A BBC one and SouthernTimes
Good Luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now