Millfield, Bruton or somewhere else?

(17 Posts)
lavendersun Wed 06-Aug-14 08:48:44

We are considering a move to Somerset and are looking for a school for our daughter (just going into Yr 4).

She had a really unhappy time at a local school in Yr 2, lots of different issues at school which meant that we pulled her out and she has had a year at home with lots of private tuition, both in groups and on her own.

Progress has been great and she has been assessed as at least a year ahead by her subject tutors (except maths where she is where she should be but she is maths phobic (remnants from Yr 2)).

Even though she is quite capable her confidence is very easily dented, she is a sensitive sort.

We want a nice school with a broad curriculum, she excels at English, History, Music, Art, Drama, loves being outside, not hugely sporty.

We want a happy child who loves going to school rather than an academic whizz.

Does anyone know Millfield or Bruton (or anywhere else nearby), what is the selection process like, are they academically pushy?

All views gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

lavendersun Wed 06-Aug-14 08:55:19

Just to clarify I meant the girls school at Bruton - I gather there are a few schools there.

happygardening Wed 06-Aug-14 11:18:13

Milfield gets very mixed reviews on here but a couple of mums I know with children who are actually at the school or have been at the school talk highly of it.
I understand the curriculum is very broad lots of everything, it's not bustingly academic but a work colleagues daughter surprised her parents and did exceedingly well. It is a very big school but don't let that put you off the house system will make it feel much smaller for the individual child.

lavendersun Wed 06-Aug-14 19:18:45

Thanks, I think that the size of Millfield means that I automatically favour Bruton (without having visited either yet) so I appreciate your words about the house system.

Not Millfield IMO, Bruton School for Girls would be better - or Leweston. Kings Bruton would be my choice at the moment though - and their prep feeder Hazelgrove.

lavendersun Wed 06-Aug-14 19:59:21

Daisy - can you expand a bit? What are your choices based on?

Bruton Girls is my first choice without knowing very much, somewhat based on small size and the single sex.

We are focusing on getting Primary right at the minute and will look beyond that when we need to.

I am pretty local to the schools you're looking at, and while I don't have children, I have many friends that do, and many of their children have gone to Hazelgrove and been very happy.

Millfield is uber sporty and I have a number of friends whose children have not excelled, so on that basis I wouldn't recommend it. Leweston is a lovely all girls school and so is St Mary's Shaftesbury. Leweston music is fabulous. I don't know a great deal about Bruton Girls, it doesn't shout one way or another tbh, nor do I know anyone who has gone there.

lavendersun Thu 07-Aug-14 05:33:09

Thanks very much Daisy. We don't do Catholicism so wouldn't consider Leweston (am interested in Primary only right now), so it looks like I am back at Bruton as favourite consideration.

I'd visit them all, tbh. It's only by visiting that you will find which suits you best. Hazelgrove is also really worth including.

lavendersun Thu 07-Aug-14 07:58:54

Thanks, I had missed Hazelgrove, I will add that to the list. Definitely not the Catholic schools for us but now I have three to look at so that is an improvement. I don't fancy Millfield for some reason, probably because of the size, but bearing HappyG's comments in mind will look anyway.

m0therofdragons Thu 07-Aug-14 08:03:27

My friend teaches at hazelgrove and after starting her daughters in state school has just moved them there. I'd probably choose it too if finances allowed. Unless your Dd is super sporty I wouldn't choose millfield. Bruton also gets great reviews locally. I would go and look and trust your instinct.

lavendersun Thu 07-Aug-14 08:11:00

Thank you, that is helpful, Hazelgrove does look lovely. Daughter definitely not sporty - very very outdoorsy but not at all into team sports.

I will arrange to visit as soon as I can after the holidays.

BreezefromtheWest Thu 07-Aug-14 08:14:11

Can highly recommend All Hallows School nr Shepton Mallet, perfect if your DD is a bit sensitive. Hazelgrove is good too. You could always move her to Bruton after a prep school. Personally, I wouldn't send her to an all girls school all the way.

BreezefromtheWest Thu 07-Aug-14 08:18:50

Just saw that you don't do Catholicism, but don't get put off All Hallows as the majority are not Catholic and you wouldn't know the school is tbh. I found the school extremely caring, small, sport if you want it or not, academic, loads of extra curricular subjects.

lavendersun Thu 07-Aug-14 08:24:48

Thanks Breeze but we don't want a Catholic school.

I don't have a problem with all girls for now, we are thinking that the very small year group at Bruton could be good for her confidence.

Our jobs involve 3 or 4 year posts so we would probably be moving around the time she would start secondary. If she was thriving and happy somewhere we would consider letting her board at that time if she wanted to stay on but we will cross that bridge in 2017.

LittleMissGreen Fri 15-Aug-14 15:41:11

I went to Bruton but it was back in the 90s. I absolutely loved it there. I still get all there newsletters etc and it still looks fab. However having boys and living many miles away now I haven't been back for a few years.

lavendersun Sun 17-Aug-14 16:29:37

Thanks LittleMG - that is lovely to hear. We haven't visited yet due to hols but we all feel like it is going to be the place for her - will report back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now