Longacre School nr Guildford

(4 Posts)
Aurora14 Wed 09-Jul-14 18:22:38

We visited Longacre School in Shamley Green recently, loved it and are considering sending DS there to start in Form 3 (from state infant school). Any advice from current parents would be most appreciated as we don't know anyone who sends their kids there. What's the general feeling about the school? What are the children and parents like? How would you rate the teaching and progress? Are your children happy? We loved the school and got a great feeling from it, but maybe everyone was on show for the open day! Any advice MOST appreciated!

RolloRollo Wed 09-Jul-14 22:05:27

Have you looked at other local prep schools to compare? What are your plans for secondary school? Do you have any specific schools in mind? What area are you in?

I have no personal experience but have heard Longacre is loved by some families and viewed as mediocre by others...Although I feel there are many brilliant preps in the area all with different pros and cons so you should check them all out as you may find something even better.

Other preps in the area: Lanesborough (very academic), Cranmore (love or hate according to many) Aldro (part boarding though), Amesbury, Haslemere Prep, Barrow Hills, Cranleigh Prep, Barfield, Edgeborough, Highfield (maybe all boarding I can't remember), St Edmunds, The Royal...

mummytime Thu 10-Jul-14 06:33:58

I think the key thing is to consider where your children will go at 11.

Are you hoping for a state school? Check incase they have feeder schools - this would not include Longacre.
If you are going private does Longacre prepare for the school you want? Which schools do people normally go to?

homebythesea Thu 10-Jul-14 17:20:22

Longacre provided a brilliant start for my DC's- a lovely nurturing atmosphere and very involved parent body. However this was some years ago before current head and we don't live locally any more so don't know the felling "on the ground".

For a boy you really need to think about next stage- because it only goes to Y6, and many independent senior schools for boys start at Y9 (13+) many boys leave Longacre to go to other prep schools at age 7 so they can take the 13+ CE. Of course you could move from Longacre to a 13+ prep school to prepare for CE but this may be disruptive to the child (2moves in 2 years) and arguably useful syllabus work may be missed. Boys moving at the end of Y6 are not brilliantly served for independent senior schools in the area bar RGS which of course is highly selective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now