WASI & BASI Percentiles

(10 Posts)
Picturesinthefirelight Mon 07-Jul-14 21:25:58

Can someone explain what these are. It's some sort if measure of IQ I know. Dd seems to be on an extremely high percentile but I'm not quite sure what the implications are especially as the report says she isn't reflected in the classroom.

It was all done as part of an assessment for an ASD which the Ed Psych suspects she has (he has reccomended an ADOS test.

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 07-Jul-14 21:28:25

The report also mentions her CAT scores on entry to the school. These were not given to us at the tune but he requested them.

gardenfeature Tue 08-Jul-14 06:24:30

From Wikipedia:
A percentile is a measure used in statistics indicating the value below which a given percentage of observations in a group of observations fall. For example, the 20th percentile is the value below which 20 percent of the observations may be found.

You also have an IQ, percentile and rarity chart:

www.iqcomparisonsite.com/iqtable.aspx

If you think your DD is not achieving what she should be then try a Google on "twice exceptional" which means someone who has high ability but something that is stopping them achieve highly such as ASD, dyslexia, etc.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 08-Jul-14 08:56:42

Her CAT scores were

Verbal - 131
Quantitive - 105
S (?) - 118

Then I have these Weshler (WASI) scores

Verbal IQ - 153 - 99.9 percentile
Performance IQ - 114 - 82nd percentile
Full Scale IQ - 138 - 99th percentile

(So she's good at talking??!)

Then it goes on to talking about British Ability Scales & auditory sequential memory & speed of information processing (not sure what they are but 82nd & 88th Percentiles.

Word reading & spelling 99th percentile but poor handwriting & free writing was average for her age.

I'll look up twice exceptional thanks. We need to decide where to go from here - perhaps I should cross post in SN

pointythings Tue 08-Jul-14 09:34:22

Well, average full scale IQ is 100, so your DD is clearly very bright - she's in the top 1% for IQ. Her verbal IQ - i.e. understanding of words and language - is very good, but her performance IQ may be what's holding her back - performance IQ has a lot to do with short term memory and sequencing and if she's on the spectrum that may well be an issue. That can be trained though. It sounds as if a full scale assessment for ASD would be a good idea so that she can access support from the school in the areas where she is weaker, though you will have to fight for this.

With handwriting I would focus on efficient (i.e. fast enough) and legible rather than 'beautiful'. She will need to provide exam scripts that markers can read, but there are many shades of legible and as long as she can get her thoughts down on paper well enough to do the job, that's fine. She might also want to learn to touch type, it's good brain training in and of itself and is a useful skill.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 08-Jul-14 10:02:55

She does enjoy using the computer & typing (to the extent that the English teacher asked her to type up and do the layout for the school magazine.

So many things are making sense now. Her junior school had no inkling she may be on the spectrum. We strongly suspect ds is but have hit a brick wall with him (despite spending over £1k on a private ed psych). Dds new school has been so on the ball.

TheLovelyBoots Tue 08-Jul-14 17:05:37

I just had my son assessed (not for ADOS) but for a disparity in verbal and non-verbal scores (99th and 80th percentile, respectively). It turned out he was weak in working memory. Not sure if that helps?

What's the next step for you?

bluestrawhat Tue 08-Jul-14 18:59:58

A CAT score of over 26 in any element or combined indicates GT.

bluestrawhat Tue 08-Jul-14 19:00:24

126 that should say.

PercyPorkyPig Sat 12-Jul-14 21:32:24

CAT scores usually measure 'verbal' 'quantitative' & 'non-verbal' reasoning:
so very high verbal - language-vocab; just above middling quantitative- mathematical concepts; non-verbal reasoning high.
The quantitative score being slightly lower, I would concur with others that ST processing memory could be affecting this. Your DD needs to become proficient at doing 'jottings' as aides memoirs in maths/mental maths tests!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now