Moving town/city before starting school

(6 Posts)
Melon2312 Sun 06-Jul-14 20:12:38

Hi, my ds is due to start school in 2016. We currently live in NW London but I am keen to move out of London and thought just before he starts school could be the perfect time. But I'm wondering how you then go about applying for a school place in an area that you don't currently live in, if that makes sense! If anyone could shed some light on how this process works I'd be grateful.

TeenAndTween Sun 06-Jul-14 21:18:28

Would make your life so much simpler to move before application deadline (Jan 16).

Otherwise in theory I think you can apply from elsewhere in the UK using your current address. The trouble is you'd be so far out of catchment you'd only get into an undersubscribed school as you would be behind everyone else on the distance criteria.

If you apply to a faith school that allows you to worship outside the parish, or your child is adopted then you can get yourself higher up the criteria.

Melon2312 Sun 06-Jul-14 22:23:13

Hmm, problem with moving then is that we'd lose our free childcare (both sets of parents also live in London!) why do these things have to be so complicated??

airplanesandsun Mon 07-Jul-14 11:30:47

You can only apply from a current address in reality. You have to prove you live there generally. Unless you apply for a massively under subscribed school from an address mikes away. If you want a popular school then you'll have move before the deadline.

Heels99 Tue 08-Jul-14 13:33:52

Yes, we moved befor applying. Otherwise we would have been late applicants and could have been allocated any school.

tiggytape Tue 08-Jul-14 15:04:32

Unless you are moving to an area where schools have fewer applicants than places (undersubscribed schools perhaps in a very rural area) or unless you don't mind which school you get allocated, you ideally need to move by mid January of the year he starts school as this is the deadline for on time applications.

If you live in London but apply for a school in a new area, you will be unlikely to get in since you'd be last on their priority list assuming all other applicants live closer than you do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now