Looking for a private tutor

(20 Posts)
milkywhite Thu 19-Jun-14 09:07:00

DD is currently in y2 at a state school in Hertforshire. Although, her current school is really good, we are thinking of moving her to an independent school in y4, so she is groomed well for good (independent or grammar) school at 11+. Looked at few options and there are few schools that would take her in at y4, if she passes the assessment. So, I am looking for a private tutor to help her with the same. Any recommendations for a good private tutor, please around St Albans area? How much do they cost?

ab987 Thu 19-Jun-14 09:24:50

Fees for tutoring can be anything from £30-£40 depending on region and tutor's qualifications and experience

milkywhite Thu 19-Jun-14 09:52:40

Thanks ab987. I am also looking for any recommendations too, as word of mouth is the way to go.

ab987 Thu 19-Jun-14 12:22:38

Can't help you with that though in same county, so hope you get some replies.

JammieMummy Thu 19-Jun-14 12:50:56

Hi Milky

Unfortunately, I am unable to give a personal recommendation either but what I do know is that some of the prep school teachers also do private tutoring on the side. It may be worth contacting the schools you are interested in and seeing if any of their teachers offer tutoring. This could be positive for you on many levels as 1. the teacher should be able to prepare your DD for that assessment not just a general one, 2. they will get to know your DD and therefore might make the transition to a new school a bit easier for her, 3. they are able to give you an honest assessment of your DD's chances of getting in and more importantly fitting in. Thereby possibly saving you money and ensuring a good fit.

I hope this helps

Soggysandpit Thu 19-Jun-14 12:58:42

You might want to start a new thread with the location in the title to get more local replies.

sweetieaddict Thu 19-Jun-14 14:43:36

Hi milky,

I've PM'd you the name of a tutor that was recommended to me from 2 people from MN. She's based 5 mins from St.A and is absolutely amazing, with a phenomenal success record.

milkywhite Thu 19-Jun-14 16:15:02

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Sweetieaddict : I am going to call the lady you mentioned this evening.
does anyone has any experience with Hippocrene tutors?

Takesalongtime Thu 19-Jun-14 17:47:27

I'm on my phone and for some reason can't pm you. If you pm me I'll reply with name of a fantastic tutor! She helped my dd loads

tricot39 Thu 19-Jun-14 22:35:58

are hippocrene still going? i tried their website recently and it had gone.

milkywhite Fri 20-Jun-14 09:08:03

I spoke to Natasha from Hippocrene recently. Their website is broken, but they are there for sure.

TGIF12 Fri 20-Jun-14 14:53:35

Hi - I have a fantastic tutor. Please PM me for details.

jamesforsythe Sun 22-Jun-14 10:36:07

Hi,
I know a great 11+ tutor lives Knightsbridge but also keeps a home in Beds - not far St Albans
Helped successfully prep our son for Eton /Westminster from 8 yrs. (see our other post) He is outstanding for Maths; Lateral thinking, VR and English and he selects students meritocratically.

His fees are average (he is independently wealthy/loves teaching.)

Caveat :he is usually in demand but if you want his name and no. pm me/us.

sh77 Mon 23-Jun-14 20:56:42

jamesforsythe please could I have the details of your tutor?

milkywhite Tue 24-Jun-14 14:04:17

Thanks guys for all the responses. I have started with the tutor that sweetieaddict and takesmealontime suggested. She is about 5 minutes from me so really suited.
jamesforsythe: Many thanks for the suggestion.

Takesalongtime Sun 29-Jun-14 22:51:08

Fab milkywhite- hope you are getting on well!

Sophiahickory Mon 30-Jun-14 05:16:09

My daughter tried online tutoring. There is a free trial lesson.

Its studybee uk and their minimum is at £9/hour.

Quote me please when you try them out.
studybeeuk.wix.com/online

Sadie33 Sun 10-Aug-14 21:42:07

HI Milkywhite - just wondering if you would be happy to pass on the details for the tutors that were recommended to you in St Albans. I am in the same kind of predicament and would love to find a tutor for my daughter. Please get in touch if you can help.

Ali2012 Mon 25-Aug-14 13:35:17

Sweetie addict - please could you pm me with the details of the tutor in st Albans. Thank you

nissan123 Fri 29-Aug-14 00:02:21

Hi to all.
just followed this thread and kindly requesting for the details of this fantastic tutor who lives in St Albans. I need him for my 9 year old son. Please get in touch if you can help.
thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now