Triple science can someone help me/advise me for my dd?

(34 Posts)
Dreamgirls234 Tue 17-Jun-14 13:51:00

Hi
If you've read previous threads you'll know my dd has recently moved from state>>private. Plus she has gone down a year (due to bullying)
Anyway at her last school my dd did triple science and at her new school a week in they made her do the exams. This week is results and obviously my dd is gutted with her results because there not high and she's used to being top of the class etc...
Her sciences she did very well in biology and practically failed physics ( she asked for revision material which he didn't give so had nothing to revise and has done no year9 physics before) and then her chemistry has gone well. She's now panicking she won't get into top set science. She would really like to do it having done it previously any advice to calm her or what I should do next?

Happy it all worked our for you.

Dreamgirls234 Thu 19-Jun-14 22:35:29

Update
Thanks to all you lovely mumsnetters who have brilliant advice and support I'm very grateful as it has helped me and my dd.

She spoke to her science teachers (Heads of sciences ) and they didn't know she hadn't covered the work etc they had being a miscommunication error. So her teachers reassured her she would be looked at carefully and with her doing 2 years of triple it would be unfair not to allow her to do it. They have requested her old books from her old school which I've arranged to collect tomorrow and I have emailed them a report on her sciences from January 2014. So fingers crossed she will do triple!
Once again thanks!
One happy mummy and one happy dd grin

ab987 Wed 18-Jun-14 11:43:52

You wrote this in a previous post and also said she always got A*s and As.

She has always being top of her classes.

That's what I referred to by 'top dog'.

Dreamgirls234 Wed 18-Jun-14 11:19:29

She was never 'top dog' she's always endured bullying and for years has being left out so she's never being 'top dog' she was actually bullied for her good results. I think it is just a shock for her when she's not used to low results. It's harder I think for her as she boards so there's no escaping school until Friday when she comes home. Had a text from her and she's off to speak to science teachers at lunch

ab987 Wed 18-Jun-14 08:24:04

Maybe your job is to tell her to calm down!
There is no need for panicsmile
She's come from another school, she has missed some work, this is nothing new or unusual.
I've had a look at your back-posts and see where she is at school- from what I see she is at a very good school so I'm sure they will sort it out.

It's really not a huge issue so you need to try to tell her that and calm her down.
I suspect she's more upset not to be 'top dog' any more in a different school.

Dreamgirls234 Tue 17-Jun-14 19:09:54

She's going to go see her science teachers tomorrow what I'm saying is she has done year10 physics so when she goes into year 10 again in Spetemeber she will know what to do etc but what I'm saying is she hasn't done year9 physics work only 1 term preparation. Only because they needed to know it before they could do the gcse version of the topic. Other than the 1 term she's done no other year9 work and she's off to explain what she has and hasn't done tomorrow as she's really panicked.

ab987 Tue 17-Jun-14 18:13:29

well it's not an issue is it because the teachers will realise that she wasn't taught the content of the exam due to joining the school later in the year.

what you are saying is that she did some of year 10 physics (GCSE) at her old school, but she didn't cover the physics that was needed in yr 9 of her new school due to joining the school half way (?) through the year.

it's not a problem - her teachers will know this and make a judgement.

Dreamgirls234 Tue 17-Jun-14 18:05:18

Old school did gcse triple science aqa
New school do triple science aqa but IGCSE
And she has done gcse physics she just hasnt done a full year of year9 physics and the term of physics she did is nothing like what these years9 do.

ab987 Tue 17-Jun-14 17:24:07

sounds as if they are doing completely different exam boards- old school and new school.

Triple science includes physics- that's why it's odd that you say they stopped teaching physics in order to do triple science.

Do you mean they started the GSCE triple science course in Year 9 - where she is now?

It still all sounds very odd and if she is upset about doing badly on 1 part of her tests this summer well she'll just have to suck that up and move on - it's no big deal and you ought not to make it into one.

Dreamgirls234 Tue 17-Jun-14 17:19:57

update
I've rang school my dd is a weekly boarder and I've no means of travelling there so phonecalls emails will have to do. They don't have a head of science it's heads of each sciences but they have a deputy head (curriculum) will ring tomorrow to speak to him

Hakluyt Tue 17-Jun-14 17:12:25

Go and talk to the Head of Science.

Dreamgirls234 Tue 17-Jun-14 17:06:12

Well she's covered most of the topics they cover she's done a whole year 10 coursework. They only parts she hasn't done for triple is unit3 in physics and she's done unit1&2&3 in bio and chemistry

Unexpected Tue 17-Jun-14 17:02:27

Well if they've already told her she'll be ahead in Yr 10, I doubt they are going to refuse to let her do triple, are they? This is beginning to sound like a storm in a teapot.

Dreamgirls234 Tue 17-Jun-14 17:00:27

Hi my dd did 1 term of year9 physics only then the physics teacher started triple science course so they would be able to have more time in year11 revising. Hope that makes it clearer. My dd has had a really could year in her physics gcse course it's just this school follows a more practical every day sort of curriculum like where physics is applied in life rather than what my dd has being doing like nuclear power stations and refraction etc..they have told her for year10 she'll be ahead of the class because she'll know it so that's why there's no need to revise in the hols.

ab987 Tue 17-Jun-14 16:52:19

Teen I'm confused by your post too now smile

It doesn't make sense that the teacher at her current school had abandoned physics after 1 term of it 'to get ahead with the triple science' because physics is PART of triple science. I could understand if the teacher had covered the physics in term 1 of year 9, before the DD joined the school, then did biol in term 2 and chem in term 3, or whatever along those lines.

But the DD still needs to learn the physics she missed or didn't grasp, because her exams show she didn't know it.

camptownraces Tue 17-Jun-14 16:43:51

PiratePanda,,,One third of double science IS physics.

The problem may be connected with the two schools teaching different subject specifications from different awarding bodies. Or, if you like, new school is teaching a different syllabus from a different exam board.

Mother needs to ask new school what can be done to pull daughter out of this hole. And needs to ask now, as they have probably only got another two or three weeks before the summer hols. And be prepared to put in quite a bit of effort at home, before next school year starts.

TeenAndTween Tue 17-Jun-14 16:42:26

ps Although it seems surprising that GCSE doesn't appear to build on y9 I can imagine it could be the case given the 'modular' nature of courses these days. Sorry, can't remember what DD1 did in y9.

TeenAndTween Tue 17-Jun-14 16:40:04

To help clarify:

Broadly speaking, the OPs daughter didn't do much y9 physics at her old school as they missed it out. The y9 Physics appears not to be part of the GCSE syllabus either. So the DD was examined on a load of stuff she hadn't really done.

You should be able to talk to the school and explain this, and show results from y10 work at previous school, and make a good case for doing triple.

Sigh. Bloody iPad.

Double science is all three. See earlier post.

If she is happy that she can do the GCSE work without the foundation of Y9 then why worry?

If she is just bothered about not coming top, then she will have to learnt to love with it.

BackforGood Tue 17-Jun-14 16:38:36

Pirate - the double science is 2/3 of the work load, but incorporates all 3 disciplines - it's not possible to do 'just' chem and biol and leave out physics, you have to do all 3, to get the 'double' award.

I have to say OP, I'm no clearer after your update. As ab987 says, not teaching physics to 'get ahead' with triple science doesn't make sense. You need to talk about this with the school staff though.

PiratePanda Tue 17-Jun-14 16:32:15

Genuine Q - does she HAVE to do Physics? Obviously if she thinks she might like to do Physics or possibly Engineering at university then yes, but can she just do double science instead?

ab987 Tue 17-Jun-14 16:25:36

You should also talk to the HoD about the unhelpful attitude of the teacher- no teacher in private ed will remain there very long if parents complain and it's justified.

ab987 Tue 17-Jun-14 16:22:36

I'm more confused now. Triple science is all 3 sciences taught singly and the equivalent to 3 GCSE all single subjects ( my son did this.) Double science is still all 3 subjects but they are compressed into 2 GCSE passes so the content of each subject is reduced by a third roughly.

Are you sure that you have got it right because why would a teacher teach 1 term of physics to get ahead with triple science? maybe I'm being dim but I'm lost with this! Are you saying that the physics part was done in the first term and your DD joined the school later than that- and then all that was taught was biology and chemistry?

If she did poorly at physics then why can't you see the benefit of revising that over the summer- she will need to know it well for her exams end of yr 11.

ab987 Tue 17-Jun-14 16:16:36

Maybe the OP made a typo and meant she had done no yr 10 physics at her former school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now