Wycliffe College, Gloucs

(8 Posts)
Inatizztoo Fri 13-Jun-14 12:47:05

Looking for views on senior prep and senior school.
From a visit it looked good and got a good feeling about it.

Reading the ISI reports, they seem to have a problem with stretching able children.

Would appreciate comments from parents of children there or anybody who knows about it.

Thank you.

JimBobplusasprog Fri 13-Jun-14 12:52:27

Nice school but the Stroud grammars get the kids who are stronger academically. There's probably a link to the fact that they don't stretch able children as most of the able ones don't go there. If your dc are able have you considered shs and marling?

Inatizztoo Fri 13-Jun-14 13:00:45

Thank you Jimbob. DD is currently in Y7. Don't Stroud Grammar only take children in Y7 after taking the 11 plus?

JimBobplusasprog Fri 13-Jun-14 13:22:43

No - they take other years too - children move in and out of the area so there is a bit of movement in other year groups. Contact the school directly about non year 7 admissions. Your dd may have to take a test. The best thing is to give the school a ring - asap if you're looking for a September start. Shs is a lovely school - good luck. If you need help for glos admissions experts go to the Gloucestershire section of the eleven plus forum.

Inatizztoo Fri 13-Jun-14 13:29:55

I had heard that Stroud Girls was a bit of an exam factory. What is it like for sport/extra curricular?

Does bullying go on much?

JimBobplusasprog Fri 13-Jun-14 17:59:34

Good for drama, very good for music (not as good as Pates though but then very few places are). Sport is pretty average but I think the fact it's single sex helps the less sporty and less enthusiastic.

I don't think it's an exam factory as they make a point of getting girls to go beyond the academic stuff - there's a scheme which is very popular to encourage leadership, participation in extracurricular stuff and community work. They do gey good exam results but it's not seen as a hothouse.

Re bullying - I don't know what shs is like. It's not one of the schools round here with a reputation for it but I haven't heard anything either way on this. I would ask on the glos eleven plus forum as there are bound to be people with dds there currently.

TooBigNow Sun 15-Jun-14 16:57:52

Thank you for your help Jimbob. Do you know anybody with children at Wycliffe?

JimBobplusasprog Mon 16-Jun-14 18:57:44

I know a family with a very young child there (in preschool) and a neighbour with a kid who left last year to go to marling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now