Hampton

(9 Posts)
TheLovelyBoots Fri 06-Jun-14 12:09:13

What are your thoughts on Hampton? How difficult is entry these days? I understand it takes a lot of Tiffin rejects so it's becoming more and more difficult to get in?

Thanks

ReallyTired Sat 07-Jun-14 13:07:18

I have no experience of the school, but I believe that getting a place at Hampton is quite an achievement. Twenty years ago I had a boyfriend at Hampton who was incredibly bright.

There is no shame in being a Tiffin reject. Tiffins takes children from all over south west London and Surrey. Unlike Hampton Tiffins is free so the competition is fiercer.

TheLovelyBoots Sat 07-Jun-14 18:27:15

Thanks ReallyTired.

By Tiffin reject I meant "smart".

Madrigals Sun 08-Jun-14 15:08:22

ReallyTired ditto to your first para.

TheLovelyBoots Tue 10-Jun-14 08:58:51

I just met with someone at my son's school and she said that Hampton was very grammar-school style, i.e. rigid.

JetJungle Thu 12-Jun-14 14:15:45

Fairly rigid and loads of homework but great teaching and lovely facilities.

There is a big emphasis on learning and academic success.

It is not for everyone.

My DS is in Y11 now and I can tell you that it was not easy to get in when he applied 5 years ago.

From what I understand, it has become even more competative recently.

castlesintheair Sat 14-Jun-14 08:33:31

It has become increasingly difficult to get into (as have all the independents in the area). It's also not for everyone so think carefully about it's suitability for your son. The boys I know there are very happy.

Icimoi Wed 18-Jun-14 22:44:36

It probably takes Tiffin rejects in the sense that most parents who opt for Hampton have also put their sons in for Tiffins in the hope of saving the fees. However, I'm not sure that that makes it any harder to get in than it was previously - coincidentally a friend whose son went through the process 15 years ago was telling me recently that that was the position then. Generally speaking, the local independents like Hampton, King's College School, LEH etc get better results than Tiffins.

AnnaG Mon 23-Jun-14 12:33:27

I have a son at Hampton and he's very happy. I do think it's got harder over the years to get into the school, as know a few bright boys who sat the 10+ this year and didn't get a place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now