How hard is it to get into Wycombe Abbey?

(4 Posts)
glitterflitter Wed 04-Jun-14 12:45:06

We were so impressed by WA and badly want our daughter to join. I know it's very academic, but how academic is 'academic'? Our DD is in the top sets for nearly every subject and currently holds and academic award for a very large school which sends some girls every year, but I don't want to get her hopes up! I know WA is relatively small and there must be a lot of competition.

Does anyone have any experience? Any other suggestions? We also loved CLC but it's a bit too far and seemed less flexible in terms of coming home (which I very much doubt she will want to do much, anyway!). Advice would be very welcome!

Michaelahpurple Wed 04-Jun-14 18:22:32

I understand that it is less hard than it used to be as more parents opt for London Day schools and the the former boys' schools (Wellington etc) peel off some of the traditional girls boarding market.

Still not easy of course, but if she is top sets, she surely has a chance. Does she have a keenness for learning and a robust mindset? If so, I understand it is a great choice for academically minded girls

glitterflitter Wed 04-Jun-14 22:06:49

Thank you Michaelahpurple. I'm hoping that that is the case, and that it is easier now. She does have an eager mind, yes, but is also quite laidback and pragmatic in her approach. She seems to benefit from a conscientious environment and loves healthy competition. Very robust mindset and hugely independent. She does pretty well without trying particularly hard but that's what I'm worried about!

I don't want to panic her but equally we do understand that she is not just in competition with other girls from her current school, but also across the country as well as with international students. I don't want to get her or our hopes up.

She did want to apply for a scholarship but her current school had no (yup, zero!) successful candidates last year. Not sure if I should let her try anyway (things could change in the next two years) or if I should protect her ego. Will play it by ear.

Would love to hear more if anyone else is reading this!

Toapointlordcopper Fri 06-Jun-14 15:16:22

Bumping and marking place, as also interested in views (am also keen to know whether ok to leave till 13 or if far better to trfr in at 11 - which would for us entail a house move so is not without its downsides).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now