Gap year between AS and A2?

(4 Posts)
RudyMentary Sat 31-May-14 10:58:32

It's quite a complicated situation but would it be possible for DS to start A levels for one year, have a year break and then resume the following Sept?

Also the same question for after GCSEs before starting A levels.

I'm interested in people's thoughts on this.
Would it be feasible?

Thanks

EvilTwins Sat 31-May-14 12:08:53

Yes for after GCSEs, no to AS/A2.

AElfgifu Sat 31-May-14 15:34:57

unlikely, education is free up to a certain age only, normally the school year in which you are 19. However, there are also rules concerning who a school can get funding for, and you will need to check that your school will be able to get funding for a pupil who has been absent for a year, and also has no leeway to repeat a year, if he does badly. There are also issues with taking a break in some subjects, we don't accept anyone who hasn't studied maths continually for example, so a pupil who took GCSE in year 10, then did no maths in year 11 would not be accepted for A level.

It depends on the circumstances. If he has a medical reason, and continues studying while absent, then I'm sure the school will be supportive, and may even accept him back without funding, we do.

Your best bet is to get an appointment with the head of 6th form, and discuss the situation and your options.

RudyMentary Sat 31-May-14 17:01:05

Thank you.

I think I probably need to speak to the 6th forms involved and ask their advice and possible options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now