12/13 year old boys

(7 Posts)
spongeypop Sun 11-May-14 08:56:28

My lovely kind, good boy has been taken over by a rude,aggressive boy. Its really hard to get him to do what I want him to do, like homework.

Is this a phase ? when will it end ?

ihatehousework2 Sun 11-May-14 10:46:37

Well........my son coming up to 14 in August has been in this phase for at least a year! lol! He can be kind, helpful and loving when he wants to be but generally he has taken to keeping himself to himself. I do get times of shear frustration but he has mainly taken to being in his bedroom and can also appear to be aggressive and thoughtless. His bedroom is a mess and despite good cop bad cop from me and his dad, it hasn't improved.
DH says it'll pass and to be honest I have seen improvements lately, but I just have to accept its a process and puberty is still happening!
Also, boys' brains develop much later than girls' brains and their body posture and demeanour can be very negative. Keep supporting him and he'll turn out ok!
Don't forget...that image of Harry Enfield as Kevin is soooo true! Wave your arms and lower your head and you'll soon get the drift of how he's feeling. Lol

ihatehousework2 Sun 11-May-14 10:48:13

Oh yeah, homework......he still hates it but as I know he is doing well, I'm not worried. His personality and ability to talk to people is great so no worries there.

inthename Sun 11-May-14 15:40:28

Ds is the same age (age 12 yr 7) and can honestly say first 2 terms have been pretty ropey and horrendous with rude aggressive child. This term the sun has come out, though others of his friends are just starting the stroppy stage! Hang on in there - mine even asked a teacher for extra homework the other day!!

mrsbrownsgirls Sun 11-May-14 16:36:33

same here, let's hope it passes soon

Michaelahpurple Tue 13-May-14 11:42:30

I had heard so much about teenage girls and their moods but little about boys. My 11.5 year old DS has suddenly dropped his emotional age and consistency by about 2 years - one minute fine, next stroppy, then tears. I am assuming this is the start of puberty - oh joy

Tansie Sat 17-May-14 11:57:18

My DS1 'moved out' about a year to 18 months ago and Kevin The Teenager took his place...

He's 2 weeks short of his 15th birthday; he can be funny, loving, cuddly one moment, and a rude, snide, obstructive. manipulative bugger the next.

We call it Magimix brain, in that his neural pathways are breaking and remaking themselves at a rate of knots.

The issue we have with it is the unfortunate collision of GCSEs and the Whatevs attitude. Though in Y10, and despite GCSEs apparently now being 'linear' hmm DS is in the midst of endless practical and controlled assessments which he'll only get one go at. I wish he were a year older so could perhaps recognise the importance of revision!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now