Best Independant school for girls in Chiltren/South Bucks/Wycombe Area

(6 Posts)
heja01 Wed 07-May-14 14:51:13

Wanted to get an opinion/rating for best independent school (academically) in Chiltren/South Bucks/Wycombe Area for girls aged 4-13.

We are currently looking at :-

1) Maltmans Green,Gerrards Cross
2) Godstowe,Wycombe
3) Gayhurst School,Gerrards Cross(I know it is a co-ed but looking at this one as well).

Any help/ideas/first hand experiences will greatly help. We are looking at a good well-rounded education but with a definite focus on academics.

Please add any new schools to this list if you think appropriate.

ps.. There is a High March/Maltmans Green thread but it does not answer my query ...

TeenAndTween Wed 07-May-14 15:49:18

I have lots of info on what they were like 35 years ago if that's any help? grin

heja01 Wed 07-May-14 16:05:20

Thanks :-) Although 35 years is a lot of time could you please post some of the info from that time as well just to get an idea of the history ...

I have heard that all three schools are very good but a personal experience or a nuanced opinion will help a lot !

TeenAndTween Wed 07-May-14 17:27:45

PMed as too identifiable.

mamandanna Sun 29-Jun-14 16:53:44

My daughter went to Gayhurst in years 7 and 8. She was one of 3 girls in year 7 and the only girl in year 8. It was absolutely great for her and I would recommend the school for either boys or girls (my son is just finishing there now).
My daughter is a very confident girl and had girlfriends outside of school so she coped very well socially. The experience has made her even more confident, very comfortable having boys as friends and it really pushed her in sport - she is not naturally a sporty child.
I am happy to talk to any one who is considering the school for their daughters - it's an unconventional choice - at least in the upper years - but we had a great experience there.

MillyMollyMama Fri 04-Jul-14 01:31:32

Godstowe. It has no rivals really. Look at the academics for a school which is proudly non selective. Very good for the less academic too and there is so much on offer there. My DD thrived there. Some go to the local grammar schools at 11, but the majority go to top class independent schools. A few years ago it was Wycombe Abbey and Cheltenham Ladies College that were the big favourites. Most go at 13. The other school probably have less illustrious destination and scholarship lists.

You need to decide what your secondary schooling is to be and choose which prep school is best placed to get what you want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now