Long shot: if your school has a very high proportion of EAL pupils, is there support for native English speakers?

(4 Posts)
Waswondering Mon 28-Apr-14 21:30:19

Our school is looking at developing a document to support native English speakers, when there are multiple languages spoken in school, and there is one dominant language spoken by the majority of pupils (not English).

I wondered if anyone has come across similar?

Thank you.

Waswondering Tue 29-Apr-14 16:11:48

Hopeful bump?

MacademiaNut Tue 29-Apr-14 16:20:36

A school near us has 38% EAL pupils but they speak a variety of other languages. It's a very popular and outstanding school PM me if you'd like the name. I visited the school and they described that they celebrate and encourage different languages but I guess as there is such a wide variety that English is the common denominator among the children.

Waswondering Tue 29-Apr-14 17:55:36

Thanks Macademia .... Our school also he a good reputation and celebrates the diversity of languages. However, the number of native speakers of English, particularly in the younger classes is low, and we are keen to work together - school and PTA - to support these learners and families (btw I'm a parent, not a teacher).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now