anyone know pennthorpe school, near horsham

(12 Posts)
schoolhunterfor1 Sat 12-Apr-14 16:25:36

Hi,

Visited on open day, anyone familiarwith this school? Thinking about future place for our dd, seemed nice, wondered about whether all stay til 13, wanted co ed, anyone with experience?

penguindog Tue 29-Apr-14 10:05:11

I sent my dd there and unfortunately it was a big mistake. I too was impressed at the open day (it does have lovely facilities & ethos seemed good), but the reality was very different. The teaching was sub standard and we were getting better teaching in the state system. The majority of the staff were unenthusiastic, bored by their job and did not teach well. Mr King (headmaster) although a very good sales man, and was very good at saying what you wanted to hear, but in term of running a strong educational team and listening to parents he was poor.
Their were many unhappy parents at the school who spent too much time moaning about it.
The girls were mean and bitchy and it was not a happy environment.
The best decision I made was moving dd away away from the school.

schoolrunfiend Thu 01-May-14 00:32:13

Hi Schoolhunter, I suppose everyone looks for different things but I have two children at Pennthorpe and am really happy. Amazingly caring staff and my kids actually want to go to school! They get really good results as well if that's what you're interested in.

Hia3 Thu 12-Jun-14 21:56:50

I also have 3 children at the school.
Very caring supportive school, with excellent teachers.
My children are happy and doing well.
If you are at all concerned , just look at how many scholarships the school gets at the end of year 8- 20 this year, 23 last year !

Hia3 Thu 12-Jun-14 22:10:25

Sorry did not answer your question.
Most do stay till year 8
Year 3-6 normally consists of 2 classes with a max of 20 in each class.

At the end of year 6 typically about 10 leave- normally to go to excellent local state schools e.g Weald, Tanbridge or Millais, the odd 1 or2 girls sometimes go to local Independant girls schools .
Not many girls go to girls schools at the end of year 6 or year 8, majority continue co- ed.

In year 7 , 1 or 2 new children from local schools sometimes join to prepare for Common Entrance Exams to independant Senior Schools.
Year 7 and 8 is normally around 28/30 pupils, so only 14/15 in a class.

RideTheKraken Thu 19-Mar-15 23:20:45

not sure all is well at this school anymore.....
keep hearing lots leaving year 6 - especially this year - its a bit worrying - anyone else heard anything?

Poopo71 Sat 28-Mar-15 08:21:08

I had my son at penthorpe and have removed as well as a lot of others in year 1, as our children and our selves were subjected to terrible bullying by two parents, their children in turn to our childrenn . The intimidation was awful and I was actually aggressively pushed in the classroom by one parent which was seen by the children. The whole year constantly were in to the head to sort this out, Mr King did nothing ! He just allowed this behaviour to be tolerated . In the end one of the bully parents left, but that left one behind , whose son then told my son that his mother hated him and me ! And my son started wetting the bed , I approached the school again , nothing ! I've left my job and had to move my son because of the stress I was put under . We are now pursuing taking Penthorpe to court along with other parents !

sussexparent Thu 16-Apr-15 12:36:57

Wow!! Pennthorpre is the best decision I have ever made for my kids. The place is alive and buzzing with energy. Without fail every day my kids come home happy and so enthused... very different to how I came home each day from school when I was young! Some leave at the end of year 6 but mostly to state school, like this year, so for some parents its a financial decision and wanting to give their kids the best start to their education by starting off in the private sector. It's sad to hear some above were not happy however I assure you this is not an accurate reflection of the school as a whole as all the parents in my kids classes I talk to love the sense of community and are happy with their experience?? We chose Pennthorpe as it is a great school for all rounders, forward thinking and with an enthusiastic Head at the helm. Go with your gut and don't bear to heavily on others opinions I'd say??? smile

Dailylion Fri 17-Apr-15 02:26:47

Warning! To any parent thinking of sending their child to this school.

This school does not meet the needs of individual children.

If your child is bright. Don't bother, save your money and use the state sytem, or choice an academic selective school.

If your child needs alittle help. Don't bother, use the state sytem where well qualified teachers will go the extra mile to give support and it won't cost you a penny.

If your child is bright, but lively. Don't bother, because you the parent will be blamed for your child's behaviour. Use the state system where your child will be managed and engaged to reach their potential.

If your child is average, maybe take a second look. But you need to know the turnover of kids is high. Leaving many parents very unhappy and out of pocket. Although if you challenge them, they will settle out of court to keep it out of the papers!

Save your money, you will be paying for facilites that are not used and poor quality teaching.

inthename Tue 21-Apr-15 18:58:34

dailylion pretty accurate summary there. sussexparent, I take it you've had the letter that explains that the enthusiastic head will not be at the helm much longer as hes moving to the prep school for Framlingham College before his own children start the future schools process

yetanotherchangename Fri 01-May-15 10:11:43

BigBird69 Sat 02-May-15 22:22:25

Wow - have people actually been compensated? Have they actually admitted their standards are poor? When was their last inspection? Is there a joint parental force leading this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now