Boarding schools in Suffolk....

(20 Posts)
Uptheanty Sun 06-Apr-14 20:33:24

Can anyone recommend a good boarding school for a 12 year old girl?
We are planning on dd attending boarding school at the end of yr 6 beginning yr 7.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sun 06-Apr-14 20:37:51

St Felix is quite nice. It's in Southwold, on the coast. Well it's in the village of Reydon but it's next door to Southwold.

Uptheanty Sun 06-Apr-14 20:41:16

Thanks for the reply, do you know someone who goes there?
Is there anything particular that is nice about it?

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sun 06-Apr-14 20:43:19

A friend went there. It seems a nice school. I'm not sure what the average grades are but it does seem to have a good reputation. If you have a look at their website it might tell you when they next have an open day.

Sorry, that's not an awful lot of help!

Uptheanty Sun 06-Apr-14 20:52:39

I've had a look, it was not an option we'd considered before, it looks very nice, thanks again!

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sun 06-Apr-14 20:54:18

No problem. Theres lots of public schools in Suffolk, was it specifically the boarding option that you needed?

I went to st felix. Quite small but really nice grounds, we had loads of fun there. Definitely worth looking at.

Pukkapik Sun 06-Apr-14 22:55:24

Royal hospital school just outside ipswich...check out their website. I know one of the teaching staff, but no pupils!

RudyMentary Sun 06-Apr-14 23:01:00

Culford or Framlingham College/Brandeston Hall

Or are you looking for girls only?

MmeMorrible Mon 07-Apr-14 12:37:50

Wymondham College is an excellent state boarding school but you would need to make a good case for boarding need.

MmeMorrible Mon 07-Apr-14 12:39:22

Facepalm - Wymondham is in Norfolk!

Agree that Royal Hospital School and Framlingham are good options.

Uptheanty Mon 07-Apr-14 16:17:12

Thanks everyone, you have given me a couple of new options!

It needs to be boarding and not just only girls we're open to either as long as not boys only !

Do you have any advice on the personal statement?
Also...would you recommend we coach our dd for the entrance exam?
As naive as it sounds .. My DH & I are at loggerheads about he issue, DH says not getting dd a tutor is madness.
I'm of the thought that if we need to hothouse her to get in how will she keep up when attending?

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Mon 07-Apr-14 16:23:53

St Felix have got an open day on Saturday May 10th 9am - 12:15pm. I talked it up! Their website is www.stfelix.co.uk smile

summertimeandthelivingiseasy Mon 07-Apr-14 16:26:03

Ipswich School and Woodbridge School have some boarding places.

BitsinTatters Mon 07-Apr-14 16:27:48

Framlingham college

Lovely school

Madbuttonmum Mon 14-Apr-14 11:51:45

My children go to Old Buckenham Hall (http://www.obh.co.uk), they get a few children who start in year 7 and then move onto their senior school of choice. It has been wonderful for my children, I can honestly recommend it. They have lots of boarding options too.

outtolunchagain Mon 14-Apr-14 14:19:03

You won't need a tutor for St Felix , they are desperate numbers wise , in fact I would take a good look at their accounts before committing to a place there.

If you are committed to boarding from year 7 probably RHS or Culford, does it have to be Suffolk, what about New Hall in Essex or Greshams in Norfolk

fgr Tue 15-Apr-14 21:37:07

We went to see St Felix last year and loved it but agree the number on roll is low. Ds would have started year 4 this year and there were just 7 in the class when they had capacity for 2 classes of around 18 in each year group.

oscarwilde Wed 23-Apr-14 12:46:05

Ipswich School. We're considering it for our two girls but they're only 3&1 at the moment smile

mrsvandertramp Sat 26-Apr-14 19:09:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now