Gcse Options-Help

(14 Posts)
Dreamgirls234 Sat 05-Apr-14 13:44:18

Hi
Long story sorry I'll try keep it short.
My daughter is currently in year10 at a state school. Due to bullying from age of 5 including racism sexual,assualt and much more we have funding from buttle uk and RNCF to send her to boarding school. We've finally have an offer! YIPPEE! For ackworth school. My daughter is moving down a year because she hasn't had a school life and they would like to give her the best chance possible. She could have gone in year 10 but we've decided not to.
Anyway....

Gcse options for ackworth. Currently she's doing history textiles sociology French Spanish business studies and maths English triple science and R.E

At ackworth she was thinking of doing geography history French and Spanish she can't make her mind up between R.E and geography. What's best for her? She wants to go into law and study at oxford/Cambridge. She's G&T.

Any help is very appreciated as always

Dreamgirls234 Sat 05-Apr-14 14:22:23

Anyone??

Bunbaker Sat 05-Apr-14 14:24:20

Could you ask the school's career's officer for advice?

I hope your daughter enjoys Ackworth. It is heartbreaking when they are unhappy at school.

Dreamgirls234 Sat 05-Apr-14 14:59:06

Bunbaker

The stuff she's being through just hasn't be nice. She wrote to the pm and has hate replies from micheal gove she's so strong and independent one very proud mummy.and I've emailed the schools career adviser and no email back she's off to taste boarding soon so maybe she could pop then? Just would like some advice really

Bunbaker Sat 05-Apr-14 15:11:30

I am not in a position to give advice as DD is in year 9 and we have had to give a great deal of thought to DD's options. Geography is considered an academic subject and is one of the Ebacc subjects, and RE is not. Although I am not sure if universities take that into account.

Which subject do you think she will do better in?

Dreamgirls234 Sat 05-Apr-14 15:31:19

Well she's year10 currently and does r.e shortcourse and history and sociology business studies and textiles she didn't choose geography for her options at current school but would really love to do it. On the other hand she's getting A's/A*s in R.e now. She feels she do well in both. She'll do a term at ackworth in year9 then go straight into year10 retaking the whole year.

Bunbaker Sat 05-Apr-14 15:32:50

Could you ring Ackworth on Monday and get some advice then?

JaneinReading Sat 05-Apr-14 15:51:23

If she wants to be a lawyer and wants to go do Oxbridge of the subjects she has already done or is considering she should do:

history
French (possibly with Spanish too if she can manage 2 languages)
maths
English lit
English lang
3 sciences
Geography

Geography is a bit better than RE although if all the others are good solid GCESs no harm in RE. 2 of my daughters did law and had similar GCSEs to those above.

If she can manage RE and Spanish that would be 11. I would not go more than about 10 or 11. If she is getting A* etc in RE by all means do it as an extra.

TeaAndALemonTart Sat 05-Apr-14 15:57:04

RE is really interesting. DS got an A* and found it easy, if she is enjoying it and finds it easy go for that.

Dreamgirls234 Sat 05-Apr-14 16:17:56

She's currently in Year 10 and doing her gcses now so she's doing history r.e Spanish French triple science sociology textiles at her current school
Just looking to see if geography would be useful for law?

Dreamgirls234 Sat 05-Apr-14 16:18:46

And I don't think school allow them to do extra at ackworth. She does Spanish after school currently but that's cause the school allow it

cathyandclaire Sat 05-Apr-14 16:24:25

I disagree with the negative RS opinions, many of the courses are predominantly Philosophy which I think is well thought of at Oxbridge, indeed we know a number of people who got places with RS A level. Geography is also good so why not choose the one he enjoys most and is good at?

JaneinReading Sat 05-Apr-14 16:26:29

It is certainly better for law to have 8 or 9 of the more academic subjects which was what my list was based upon. If she has French no need for Spanish although if she's doing well in it and doing it out of school and it won't affect her in school work it would be a bit silly of the school to make her give it up.

Most the academic schools in the private sector would require all pupils to do

2 or 3 sciences
English lit and lang
maths
a foreign language

So those core 7 plus a few other academic ones like history and or geography.

Then 1 or 2 of the easier ones like RE music art.

Dreamgirls234 Sat 05-Apr-14 17:45:40

cathyandclaire
Think she will take geography because she'll be able to sit her r.e shortcourse at her current school so they'll be no need to full course version. Thanks all
She's still going to do her triple science and English Lang and lit and maths. Just she can't choose between r.e or geography but she might as well take geography. Although she's definitely going to take 2 languages doesn't enjoy music but still is musical plays flute so for her the academic route is better. Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now