English pupils 11th in job skills ranking

(10 Posts)
antimatter Tue 01-Apr-14 12:29:59

I think this is very good news.

www.telegraph.co.uk/education/leaguetables/10734609/OECD-league-table-English-pupils-11th-in-job-skills-ranking.html

I work in technical field in IT where detailed knowledge of technology is important, but as it happens without problem solving abilities one can't get very far.

Agggghast Tue 01-Apr-14 18:31:55

Yes it shows that teaching pupils to think rather than rote learning is valuable.

rabbitstew Tue 01-Apr-14 19:02:57

Mind you, it shows countries with a reputation for a heavy emphasis on rote learning are also at the top of the tables for problem solving.

rabbitstew Tue 01-Apr-14 19:09:55

I love the way they test practical problem solving skills involving real life situtations... via a computer screen or pen and paper test! I wonder if they'd do equally well actually going out into the real world with their map and compass?!...

antimatter Tue 01-Apr-14 19:22:48

Rabbit - I was wondering about that too.
Perhaps some of theit tests revolve around NVR principles?

rabbitstew Tue 01-Apr-14 20:39:17

Well, looking at a couple of links to other articles, the examples they gave looked suspiciously just like that... eg working out what order to sit people around a dinner table, having been given information on who won't sit next to whom and who will...

rabbitstew Tue 01-Apr-14 20:41:06

Basically, VR and NVR...

funnyossity Fri 04-Apr-14 10:45:55

We have a fairly large percentage at the bottom end.

I understand the argument about Shanghai-China being "selective" but what do the Koreans do? They have a far smaller tail of low achievement.

rabbitstew Fri 04-Apr-14 17:44:08

I heard they study every hour that they are awake, find life stressful and aren't very happy. That would probably do it. grin

funnyossity Fri 04-Apr-14 17:59:00

Ah, I thought it might have been a bit of Tae Kwon Do for focus.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now