Clash of the Clans?

(9 Posts)
shudShudnt Fri 28-Mar-14 20:32:50

My DS (9) has asked me to download Clash of the Clans for the Ipad, because all of his friends are playing it. A quick google suggests there's a risk of innapropriate chat and in-app purchases (which I realise I can block). I don't like the sound of it, but told him I would find out more. Any insights to offer to help me decide whether to say yes or no?

icancount Fri 28-Mar-14 21:06:53

ds and his friends all had it, and we had no bad things happen! I think it was last year when they were 10yrs. dd played it too and she was 7. They got bored of it eventually, like everything.
I suppose you know your ds best - is he likely to buy in app extras? What would he do if there was 'bad chat'?
Ds used to make there own clans and just invite each other (as far as I know….).
I say yes, let him have it. But look at it every so often.

nobutreally Fri 28-Mar-14 21:09:15

Meh, it's fine. Level of language depends on the clan they join -ds is only allowed to join clans with explicit 'no bad language' promises - of which there are loads. Ds tended to clan up with mates & went off it reasonably fast (2/3 month maybe?)

nobutreally Fri 28-Mar-14 21:10:29

Oh, and my two know darn well never, ever to buy in app stuff, but I think clash f clans is actually pretty un-pressured vs lots of other stuff they play...

Fridayschild Fri 28-Mar-14 21:20:42

the chat which is open to everyone is really dull. Your Ds should be allowed to join a clan with his friends only.

DS2 spent his pocket money on the in app purchases but it is perfectly possible to play without them and the game is a lot less pushy than others

angelcake20 Fri 28-Mar-14 22:14:35

DCs (11 & 9) are in a closed group with school friends. Their previous open group had some language that was inappropriate (there is a profanity filter but there are ways around it), nothing too strong or nasty but more than they are used to.

shudShudnt Sat 29-Mar-14 06:32:54

Thanks all. Tell me the positives too. It's promoted as a strategy game. Does it have some educational benefit?

Willdoitinaminute Sat 29-Mar-14 16:36:30

There have been some bullying issues at my DS's school, since there is a closed chat room for each clan as well as global chat. I have warned my DS that I check the posts regularly since I can download his clan onto my iPhone and he is only allowed to join the clan his friends are in.

Any inappropriate language or chat and I shut him down. I have had a long chat with him about grooming and general internet safety, a little earlier than I would have liked but he needs to understand that not everyone is who they say they are in the virtual world.

Belonging to a clan means they can help each other out by donating resources.
I think it is worth finding out if all his friends parents are aware their children are using this game. After a recent communication from school it was obvious that a number of parents had no idea that it had global chat.

SoldeInvierno Sun 30-Mar-14 09:41:23

My DS plays in a closed clan with the other boys in his class. So far, no problems

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now