PC or lap top for GCSES course work?

(9 Posts)
Fuem Thu 27-Mar-14 22:38:08

Could someone advise what would be best for ds, yr 10 to do his GCSE course work on. He is doing ICT and photography along with the usual

mummy1973 Fri 28-Mar-14 14:59:35

Good laptops have all you need and are portable (you can confiscate easier). grin
On a serious note portability is useful for taking to friend's houses for homework or to college (if it lasts that long).

intheenddotcom Fri 28-Mar-14 18:07:04

Is he allowed to do it at home? I was under the impression that it is all now controlled assessment and must be supervised by a teacher.

bigTillyMint Fri 28-Mar-14 18:09:03

DD has a laptop, but I think most homework is done by hand. CA's are only done at school.

housemad Sat 29-Mar-14 09:28:18

I would have a laptop so you can carry and move it around easily. It take up less space and easily to take to shop to repair etc. Unless he is into games a lot I would get a smallish one. So he can take it with him when travel to college or move out, even setting in sofa or in bed. Because all conveniences a laptop has so you would end up use it more. I believe pcs are too heavy and take up too much space for today living. They probably will not be around for much longer.

afterthought Sun 30-Mar-14 06:57:56

Most children I teach have access to a laptop at home rather than a PC. I think a laptop (with an attached keyboard and mouse if used at a desk) is the best option. The only thing I hate on the laptop is the touch pad so he may find a mouse easier for some things.

Fuem Sun 30-Mar-14 21:07:37

We've decided on a laptop (he was asking for a PC) he asked his teacher for some advice and was told a bigger screen was important. Going to do some research and get one next weekend, thanks for the replies smile

homebythesea Mon 31-Mar-14 22:49:36

Make sure you buy Publisher (not available on a mac alas) as this is useful for coursework presentations. Then do do work on CA's at home as well as at school, porting the documents by email or memory stick (geog and DT being done - last minute- in this house as I type!)

TalkinPeace Mon 31-Mar-14 23:05:38

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now