allocution lessons

(8 Posts)
innercity Wed 26-Mar-14 15:30:45

Hi everyone,

I have a slightly weird request. DS (9yo) has quite bad articulation. In his first language, before we came here, he had speech therapy (when he was 5) - and he speaks very clearly. When we came to Britain, speech therapists here said there is nothing to be done with him (in relation to English). So that was it.

But now, today, I was just listening to him talking to his friend. He doesn't artuclate many words, just swallows them, tries to speak too quickly (to mask this?) and does angry noises when the word becomes muddled up because of the speed of talking.

I think I need some person to work with him on allocution. Maybe someone working with actors? But who knows how to work with a 9yo. Any advice, links would be greatly appreciated.

WeekendsAreTooShort Wed 26-Mar-14 15:36:50

before anyone shouts you down. I think it is Elocution. It might be a breathing issue ..we have similar issues in our family

ihatethecold Wed 26-Mar-14 15:42:59

Have you asked your go or school for a referral to speech and lang therapy?

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Wed 26-Mar-14 17:30:59

What about looking at speech and drama classes? Might build his confidence rather than making him feel he has a "problem"?

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Wed 26-Mar-14 17:33:10

LAMDA (London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art) classes seem popular at our school.....

innercity Wed 26-Mar-14 18:45:33

I am so sorry about misspelling! What a shame. Thanks for responses.

Wurstwitch Wed 26-Mar-14 18:49:07

I think you should seek out a private speech and language therapist for an assessment.

That said, at 9, the speech patterns might be just him picking up the local dialect... Some accents aren't exactly the queen's English, so it might just be a more informal way of speech? Hard to say without hearing it, tbh.

Private slt your best bet, though.

eatyourveg Wed 26-Mar-14 19:03:26

have you tried singing lessons

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now