Marking of A level coursework.

(10 Posts)
TheBeautifulVisit Wed 26-Mar-14 13:50:27

My son handed in his A level coursework in November. He still hasn't had it back in spite of various promises of 'soon'.

Is this reasonable?

TheBeautifulVisit Wed 26-Mar-14 17:10:48

How do we chase the marking of the coursework? For obvious reasons my son isn't very keen to chivvy his teacher.

ANyone?

noblegiraffe Wed 26-Mar-14 17:12:36

Of course not. Phone the teacher or head of department. I don't know when A-level coursework is moderated and sent off, but if your DS was led to believe it would be marked and returned, this needs following up.

TheBeautifulVisit Wed 26-Mar-14 17:20:14

noblegiraffe - thank you for responding. It had to be in by a date in November. It was in on time and had expected a result (which we realise may be subject to alteration/moderation) before Christmas.

It is ridiculous now. There is now another lot of coursework due and to be honest the mark from the first lot of coursework would have been helpful prior to doing the next piece of coursework. It's a very small A level class so I don't see what the big problem is. He's not alone. The teacher hasn't marked anyone's coursework from November.

I feel hesitant about emailing the head of sixth form.

nobodysbaby Wed 26-Mar-14 17:34:28

Sixth form teacher here, that's not usual and you should definitely complain. I have huge amounts of coursework to mark, but my students know their provisional marks within 2 to 3 weeks of handing in.

MillyMollyMama Wed 26-Mar-14 17:54:36

How can a student expect to improve when they do not know what the areas for improvement are? This is very late and probably does not meet the school's expectations laid down in the marking policy. I would contact the school immediately. We had a similar problem with GCSE coursework. Head of Department for English no less did not return draft coursework for 10 weeks. She left the school after they investigated what had been going on. (Too much to go into here!)

HRHLadyG Wed 26-Mar-14 17:57:28

It may depend on the subject. Were students informed that those was a final draft? Perhaps they had redrafted and if this was final would then be kept by the teacher for moderation process. x

dippingbackin Wed 26-Mar-14 18:46:44

Deadline to exam board usually 15th May which means moderation within the department before that. If the teacher is planning on returning it for improvements then remarking they are cutting it fine.

Was it definitely a draft and not the final version?

TheBeautifulVisit Wed 26-Mar-14 23:51:20

It was the final version. The policy is that the teacher gives the student the marks with the caveat that the mark isn't final and is subject to moderation. The mark would be useful.

Subject is physics. It's a very small class.

TheBeautifulVisit Wed 26-Mar-14 23:53:06

Thanks all for your info and support. Son is going to ask again tomorrow. Poor thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now