PE kit taken from locked locker

(4 Posts)
pinkichiban Wed 26-Mar-14 09:10:47

My DD has had her complete PE kit go missing from her locked locker. It is going to be very expensive to replace as it is a set kit bought via school. Not sure what to do, maybe she lost it, but she is insistent that she put it away. From previous experience the school will blame DD. Dreading phoning them...

noblegiraffe Wed 26-Mar-14 09:31:53

If her locker was still locked then it seems unlikely it was stolen and she should check lost property. If her locker was broken into then there may be CCTV that could be checked to find the culprit.

Ds1's school used to insist that PE kit was stored on open racks outside classrooms, and kit was always going missing - sometimes taken by mistake, because they all used the regulation kit bag, and sometimes taken as a 'joke' - to be hidden either all in one place, or all over the school.

I complained on more than one occasion, when his kit went missing. The first time it turned up - well, ds1 and dh found it, when dh insisted on being allowed to search the school after hours, but the second time, it didn't turn up for nearly a year - by which time we had had to replace it - and like yours, pinkichiban, it was specific school kit, that could only be bought from the uniform shop run by the school - and when the rugby socks alone cost £6, you can tell that the rest of the kit isn't going to be cheap - we had to buy rugby shorts and shirt, indoor PE kit, rugby socks and sports socks, kit bag, two pairs of trainers and a pair of rugby boots - all in all, over £100, even buying the trainers at the cheapie shoe shops.

I told the school I held them responsible, since it was their policy that meant that his kit was not secure, and therefore I thought they should a) reimburse me and b) provide secure storage, but no joy from the school. I am just glad we moved, and the school the dses went to up here has a far more sensible kit policy - basically shorts/tracksuit bottoms and t-shirt/trackie top, any colour, any brand, just no football colours - so it is cheap to buy.

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Wed 26-Mar-14 12:56:19

This is the bane of my life to be honest. At the Ds's school, the boys get a debit if they have an item missing for a PE lesson. This means that if you are missing an item it is common practice to grab something from someone else's locker (they are left unlocked). Chances are you won't get it back.

There is a lost property box in the changing rooms, but parents are unable to access it for obvious reasons. So the chances are you will be without the item of kit and will have to replace it. At £40 per tracksuit, it's not funny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now