Tutoring

(9 Posts)
tophat98 Mon 17-Mar-14 22:39:19

Hi,

I am due to take my GCSE's in May/June this year and am predicted A's and A*s. I attend a grammar school in the North-West.

I take:
Eng Lit
Eng Lang
Maths
Biology
Physics
History
French
Spanish

I have also already obtained my Level 2 A-grade Project Qualification and a BA Flag Award in French. I have obtained full marks (A*s) in all of my language coursework and frequently speak Spanish and French to my friends in Colombia, Morocco, Spain, France etc...

Would you ever consider hiring someone like myself to tutor your child for French/ Spanish/ English? (I am a boy)

Thanks for reading!

jonnyappleseed Tue 18-Mar-14 09:46:03

Nope. I am assuming you are 15/16? IF I knew you personally, I might ask you to provide "a little bit of homework help" with revision etc, but not to tackle a topic my child might want specific assistance with over a period of time.

ReallyTired Tue 18-Mar-14 17:19:50

Bless, I admire your initative at looking at ways of earning money.

I don't think that there is much demand for primary school level spanish/ french tutoring. With secondary school children I fear you would find it hard to get them to do any work as the age gap would simply be too small.

I think you sound like an incredbily talented young man. My son wants to learn to ring the church bells to earn money at weddings. Prehaps there is some other avenue which you can find to earn money.

Taffeta Tue 18-Mar-14 20:07:16

Good for you. My DD (7) has an hour with a sixth form student doing Maths once a week.

It works well, she doesn't need a formal tutor, but likes this boy who makes learning fun, and crucially isn't me. She plays up for me, and not for him. He varies what he does for her in any given week, starting off with Mental Maths, times tables, money, and word problems hopefully this week. He is very flexible.

He is studying Business and has a good head for it! It's an arrangement I think we all get something from. I feel good for "helping" him, she gets better at Maths, win/win.

totallyuseless Tue 18-Mar-14 20:31:35

Good for you. I am very impressed at your entrepreneurial skills. I would focus on your own education until the summer at least.

PS, I would hire you.

NotEnoughTime Tue 18-Mar-14 21:33:17

I would!

PS Good Luck-I think you will go far in life smile

MagratGarlik Tue 18-Mar-14 23:51:51

Are you old enough to have your national insurance number yet? Further, as you are a child, I'd have to be responsible for your well-being and the safe-guarding issues around you being an unknown child in my house, or my child visiting your parents house - in which case, are they CRB checked?

Presumably you don't have any insurances, either. You don't have any formal qualifications in the subjects you are looking to teach. Tbh if I wanted someone for languages, I'd want a native speaker too, learning language is as much about culture as about the theory of the language. Understanding the culture helps to understand the origins of the language and also, what to listen out for - I didn't appreciate this fully prior to learning a language whilst living abroad.

So, sorry, but no. I'd want someone a little more experienced and over 18 (at least), so that I was not responsible for a minor in my home.

mumteacher Thu 20-Mar-14 21:09:08

Absolutely!! Well done you for 1) doing the research before plunging straight in, 2) wanting more.

For many youngsters today going to school come home and play on their x box is all they want in life!

I'm always very proud of children like you.

If you're in north London get in touch x

Pitapotamus Thu 20-Mar-14 21:15:56

I think that provided there is an age gap of a couple of years between you and the child you were tutoring people would definitely hire you. E.g when you're doing your a-levels you could tutor a gcse student. It's difficult to tutor someone your own age I think. My eldest child is 2 so I'm not in the market for a tutor just yet but best of luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now