Where can I find a private Montessori tutor in London?

(19 Posts)
HaddockCod Wed 26-Feb-14 15:31:49

I'd like to find a private montessori tutor i.e. a few hours a week and can't find any on the internet.

Any ideas where I can find one?

I'm not sure such a thing exists-isn't the Montessori system pretty much opposite the idea of one-on-one academic tutoring?

InvaderZim Wed 26-Feb-14 15:45:36

Agree that one probably doesn't exist. What is it about Montessori that appeals to you - methods? Apparatus/ didactic materials? A particular subject?

HaddockCod Wed 26-Feb-14 15:48:34

Thanks AntoinetteCosway

Ideally I would have liked to send my son to a montessori school but there aren't any decent ones nearby.

Oh nosad I had a feeling that maybe such a thing doesn't exist after looking on the internet but thought I would check with mumsnetters just in case I was looking in the wrong direction

HaddockCod Wed 26-Feb-14 16:22:01

InvaderZim

I like everything about it i.e. the method, the interactive way things are taught. For example reading/writing-letter sounds then sandpaper letters to prepare for writing. Then there is maths were the concept of counting is taught as opposed to just showing a number 1. The subjects I'm particularly interested in is reading, writing, maths

Blackwattle Wed 26-Feb-14 19:53:10

Sent you a PM.

LilyClouds Wed 26-Feb-14 21:25:45

Thanks Blackwattle. Have PM'd you a reply

HaddockCod Wed 26-Feb-14 21:33:38

smile Sent you a pm.

InvaderZim Wed 26-Feb-14 22:26:48

OK, well, lots of Montessori-style stuff has been incorporated into early years curriculum in this country, and there's no reason why you also can't do all of it at home. Some people home educate using the Montessori method. The only thing is if you want the actual materials, they can get pretty pricey.

You can find lots of wonderful things at Montessori Print Shop (here is there free printables page: www.montessoriprintshop.com/Free_Montessori_Downloads.html) or buy the Montessori At Home book (http://www.montessoriathomebook.com/Home.html/).

If you poke about on Pinterest you can get lots of ideas for materials/activities to do at home which are Montessori inspired.

Hope this helps?

HaddockCod Wed 26-Feb-14 23:29:09

InvaderZim

Thanks very much, I'll have a look at the links. The problem is getting my son to listen to me. He likes to show how behaved he is at nursery but with me he's not- that's why I came up with the tutor idea.

InvaderZim Thu 27-Feb-14 13:46:15

Hm. How old is he? In a Montessori classroom we would say that a child who's not listening/sitting still to observe a materials presentation isn't ready for it yet. If they are interested or drawn to it, then they are ready for that stage of learning. On these other hand, in a traditional Montessori environment there isn't much 'teaching' that happens. A child has a material demonstrated by the teacher but then works with it on their own. Or they might observe another child using it and have a go themselves.

The sandpaper letters and numbers would be an exception to this, as there must be a 'lesson' for every letter sound/number name.

InvaderZim Thu 27-Feb-14 13:47:39

He also might get tired of having to behave at nursery, plus children always behave differently away from their parents than with them.

tintsu Mon 17-Mar-14 16:47:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

priscillah56 Sat 19-Jul-14 12:02:57

CarolineB35 Sun 10-Aug-14 15:45:58

jo141 Fri 15-Aug-14 00:21:15

hi I am interested in a Montessori tutor for my 4 year old daughter and 3 year old niece. I am wondering if you cover north west London area. I am interested in a tutor who will teach Maths and English in a fun way.

jo141 Mon 18-Aug-14 19:20:34

What areas do you tutor at?

jo141 Mon 18-Aug-14 19:22:44

Last message to Tina & Caroline

lgrillo Thu 21-Aug-14 01:54:21

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now